Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AFNI - Appeared on my CR!!!! No!!

tag
DeeBee18
Regular Contributor

AFNI - Appeared on my CR!!!! No!!

I just checked my CCT today. And there's a new item that popped up from AFNI.

Couple of weeks ago, I received a dunning letter from AFNI for a TMobile account in the amount of $429.

I sent them a DV via Certified mail and signature receipt requested. It was signed by T. Patterson on 8/21/09.

As of today, they have not responded to me and now its in my CR.. ? What the??!!

I have not received a score update yet from my score watch.

Whats the next step? Offer a PFD even though they have not responded to my DV..

Any advise?? I was planning on a new vehicle this coming weeks and now AFNI showed up, it is for sure gonna hurt my chances of getting a car.. 

Officially a Homeowner 6/1/12

Jun' 2012 EX 737 (thru lender) ; Mar '12 EQ 746; July '12 TU 773

Chase Freedom - 6.5k; Amex Zync - NPSL; Ashley's GEMB - 5.5k; Barclay's Rewards MC - 1.5k, JCP - 1k; Macys - 2k; Chase Slate - 7k (AU on DH card); US Bank Cash+ - 9.5k
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DeeBee18
Regular Contributor

Re: AFNI - Appeared on my CR!!!! No!!

Bump? Anyone?

Help please???

Chase Freedom - 6.5k; Amex Zync - NPSL; Ashley's GEMB - 5.5k; Barclay's Rewards MC - 1.5k, JCP - 1k; Macys - 2k; Chase Slate - 7k (AU on DH card); US Bank Cash+ - 9.5k
Message 2 of 9
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

AFNI may have already reported to the CRA's before they received your DV letter.

Check the report date on your CR's.

What's the DOFD?

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 9
aquatic1
Established Contributor

AFNI did the exact thing to me and I too wanted to purchase a car in the next two months.  My EX score went down 65 pts.  I am waiting for it to hit EQ so I can go back down until the 400's.  If I wasn't so mad I would cry right now....

Starting Score: EX:603
Current Score: EX:603 (10/16/19)
Goal Score: EX:740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
DeeBee18
Regular Contributor

Hi ..

Update Status Date on my CR was: August 23... 2 days after they signed and received my DV..

I know this Tmobile account was from 2003.

Message 5 of 9
DeeBee18
Regular Contributor

AFNI did the exact thing to me and I too wanted to purchase a car in the next two months.  My EX score went down 65 pts.  I am waiting for it to hit EQ so I can go back down until the 400's.  If I wasn't so mad I would cry right now....

OMG!!! Are you serious...! Your score decreased 65 points.. is it a FAKO score? That's such a bummer!!! After all the hardwork we put in cleaning up our credit, here comes AFNI.. Grrrr. 

Message 6 of 9
DeeBee18
Regular Contributor

It also appears that AFNI is reporting wrong?

What should I do??

I know this was back in 2004. And AFNI is reporting an Open Date of: 7/1/09

Also reporting as +120 days late

Message 7 of 9
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Um, just a wild shot, but if it's reporting 120 days late, what happened to 30 days late, 60 days late, 90 days late?

If that is not showing on your credit report, write a letter to the lender (whomever you want to get financing from) and point that out.  Say something to the effect that if it was a valid debt, that it would have shown 30, 60, 90 day lates. 

Ask for a human decision.

Also, do you have your records from 2004?  Do you have a date for first day delinquent? If it went delinquent in 2004, then you are past the 2 year mark that really hurts your credit.  It would now be 5 years old...and much less of a sting on your credit score. 

Message 8 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The open date is just the date they reported it to the CRAs.  Other than the point loss for a new collection, it has no impact on when it will come off your CR.

CAs can not report late payments so they are reporting incorrectly.

Since you know they signed for your DV, wait 30 days send them another one.  If they do not respond, file a complaint with the BBB, your AG and the FTC.

There is no mandated time in which they have to respond but, the law is clear that they can not continue collection activity until they do.  Putting it on your CRA is collection activity. 

Message Edited by guiness56 on 08-28-2009 05:27 AM
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.