Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Credit card debt - Arbitration

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Credit card debt - Arbitration

Hello,

I have a debt that is few years old on multiple AMEX cards (totaling $12,000)

They used to call me everyday until I blocked their number and since the last 2 years I have not heard anything from them

I was to resolve this issue because its affecting my credit score. And I have discovered that arbitration is the easiest way to resolve this situation. I dont mind paying the debt but I want this to be completely off my report as "paid in full" but AMEX rep refused to do this over the phone when I spoke to them last 8 months ago.

I read up on Arbitration. I have recently moved back home to Michigan from CA. Is arb paid for by AMEX even for MI residents?

Id appreciate any advice on this matter.

Thank you

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Credit card debt - Arbitration

Since you don't mind paying the debt off in full, I'd contact AMEX with a PFD letter and see what they come back with. Maybe you can save some money. Write the letter via ConsumerFinance.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried to do this over the phone but they would not delete. Are you suggesting that writing the PFD letter has more weight?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to Leverage in arb or some violation of FDCPA/FCRA, Card Act, TILA otherwise AMEX is known to not settle without some leverage.

The consumers fees is capped to 250 and the creditor pays for the arbitration. If your contract has arb in it, and you send a letter electing arb. if they subsequently sue you they are violating their contract and you can sue them.

I just want to make sure that I understand this process correctly:

1. how can I be sure my contract had arb clause?

2. I file JAMS claim here: https://www.jamsadr.com/files/Uploads/Documents/JAMS_Arbitration_Demand.pdf

correct?

3. It says that Arbitrator may sanction the party for attorney fees? Is that valid in California or Michigan?

https://www.jamsadr.com/rules-comprehensive-arbitration/#Rule 29

Please advise

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.