Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Optima

tag
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

AMEX Optima

Things went sideways for me in 2016 and I ended up with all of my credit cards in collections and subsequently charged off. After a few years of ignoring my credit score I figured that it was time to get back in the game and rebuild. A few days later I magically receive an email from AMEX offering the Optima Card after paying off my balance. I owed about 2200 from the Gold Card I had so the limit offered was 600. I paid off the balance the 20th of this month so should be getting the application in a week or two and will update then. 

My Grandfather is a veteran so I am hoping to get a Navy Fed membership shortly and get a secured card with them to grow my history while I wait for the negative items to fall off my report and rebuild. I am looking forward to getting back into the AMEX family and back on the right track.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX Optima

Welcome @Ilinferno Thats how you do it. Nice job getting back in with AMEX and joining NFCU will be even better.

Message 2 of 10
ThetoriParadox
Frequent Contributor

Great job! I just did the same last year, Got my optima, and joined NFCU, just barely switching all my accounts over though.  Smiley Happy Good luck!

RE-BUILD 2.0
Venmo Card- Mission Lane-Cap1 Walmart- Amex Optima- Cap1 QS- Cap 1 QS1- NFCU Nrewards Secured- Williams Sonoma- Care Credit- Grain- scores hovering around 644-653
Message 3 of 10
dacv01
Regular Contributor

Good work and congrats on Optima! Use it well and be patient, once the 12 months are up and scores are good Amex will welcome you back to their eco system 

> 5 Inquiries, AAoC 4 years, AoOA 7 years, 11 months as of September 2021
Message 4 of 10
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

Thanks! I got the hard pull notification from Experian a few days ago so I'm hoping to get the card in the mail within a week or so! The application doesn't show up in the check application status webpage but not sure if it will for the Optima or not.

Message 5 of 10
GrandBay
Frequent Contributor

@Ilinferno 

you have to be patient w/Optima

its not a standard AMX card 

and many of their employees do not know much about it

it will not go live or show up anywhere until you receive and confirm it.

Message 6 of 10
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

@GrandBay 

Ok perfect that makes sense, thanks for the heads up!

Message 7 of 10
kboxer

Congrats on the Optima and getting in with NFCU! It can be a lengthy road back but that time flies by.

Message 8 of 10
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

Update: Just got the card in the mail. It took a little under a month from payment in full to getting the card so not too bad considering some of the posts I have seen here regarding the Optima. Now the year long clock starts ticking lol.

Message 9 of 10
GrandBay
Frequent Contributor

@Ilinferno 

my experience w/NFCU nRewards (secured card) is as follows:

opened card with $500 deposit

90 days later nfcu bumped my CL up to $800 without additional funds

180 days after opening they bumped CL to $2,000

PC to the cashRewards Card (waiting for it to be delivered)

and returned the initial $500 deposit

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.