cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APPROVED FOR CAPITAL ONE "SECURED" CARD!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

APPROVED FOR CAPITAL ONE "SECURED" CARD!!

Hi All! Smiley Happy 

I haven't been here for long as a contributer, but I have been studying these forums for weeks now as I work on rebuilding my credit.

This may not seem like much to most of you but..

**I was just approved for a Capital One $200 secured card with just a $99 deposit!!**

I have burned Capital one a couple of times over my lifetime (once in BK in '04 and a Kohls store card in 2014 that shows as Kohls/CapOne) and I just assumed they wouldnt approve me! I have an opensky card and NFCU that I just got and I was having trouble finding a 3rd card for my 3 cards to start my rebuild. I saw someone suggest a prequalify tool which I did for discover and was not approved and I figured it was better than continuing to add inquiries knowing noone was going to approve me.

I AM SO EXCITED!! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Just a little of my story since i dont have a signature yet..

I am a disabled veteran of 15 years now. I had quite amazing credit by no means of trying when I was 18-21 in the ARMY. since everything was through autopay out of my check my credit was great... well fast forward to being separated due to severe back injury and absolutrly no pay while I waited on VA rating Smiley Sad I ended up having to file for BK in the end of 2004. since then it was an uphill battle tbh... I struggled for basically this whole 15 years while the VA rated me at 20% for 4 years then 70% on my appeal.. then 90% 5 years later and JUST LAST NOVEMBER  I was finally granted 100% P&T! 15 years fighting and suffering.. struggling to make money on side jobs (when I was able) like buying and reselling items from craigslist to ebay.. just a really hard time. this rating of 100% has changed my life and I finally can say that i can pay my bills! Smiley Happy being that I was never taught the importance of credit and I never learned it on my own except through the struggle of paying outrageous prices for everything bc my credit was crap. I have some collections aging on my report that I am working on but I am really going for it! I WILL get to 700+ or die trying!

Thank you ALL for all of the great advice you have contributed on the forums.. they are absolutely invaluable!! God bless!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: APPROVED FOR CAPITAL ONE "SECURED" CARD!!

Congratulations on your approvals! You're well on your way now. Garden those for at least 6 months, and you will really start to see more positive changes happening in the reports. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 13
DapprD
Regular Contributor

Congrats on the approval!

A lot of us end up here after being sick and tired of being sick and tired of our credit situation.  If you follow a lot of the advice here, you will find yourself in a better situation than you started with.

On the rebuilding journey, I can only give you 1 good piece of advice.  Never STOP, Never GIVE UP.  You can do it if you stick with it!

Just use your new found credit responsibly and it will be good to you!

Starting Score: 567
Current Score: 739
Goal Score: 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 13
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Its a new beginning!

Message 5 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Fantastic.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats ! I know how hard it is to get the VA to help. I worked with my disabled brother and watched him go through similar challenges. Good for you, best of luck !

Message 7 of 13
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I WILL get to 700+ or die trying!

Good news, you don't have to die....time heals all wounds.  You may take two steps forward; one step back for a little while and then Zoom, Zoom!  Happy for you Momma!

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 8 of 13
Cleaningitup2016
Frequent Contributor

I've had a cap1 card for nearly 3 years and they upped my balance to $500 from my original $250 deposit. They won't PC me to an unsecured card, they won't increase my limit "because it's secured". They don't graduate anymore, at least they told me so.

You should look into getting one with Discover. From what I gather graduation is a bit easier.

Credit Card companies have a name for those who pay their bill in full each month: Deadbeats
Message 9 of 13
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

I've had a cap1 card for nearly 3 years and they upped my balance to $500 from my original $250 deposit. They won't PC me to an unsecured card, they won't increase my limit "because it's secured". They don't graduate anymore, at least they told me so.

You should look into getting one with Discover. From what I gather graduation is a bit easier.

Whether or not your secured will graduate is dependent on what the terms were when you applied. They've flip-flopped over the years between graduating and not graduating. Have no idea which one it is right now.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.