Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU account on EQ and TU

tag
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

AU account on EQ and TU

I have a baddie AU account showing on EQ and TU, not on EX. I just learned about it when I got the Scorewatch free trial today. DoFD is 4/06. Can I dispute the account as Not Mine? What are the odds of it coming off? It is showing as something that is hurting my score and I'd like it gone. It was never my account, I had asked to be added for credit building purposes and never had the card. Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AU account on EQ and TU

@-Cain- wrote:
I have a baddie AU account showing on EQ and TU, not on EX. I just learned about it when I got the Scorewatch free trial today. DoFD is 4/06. Can I dispute the account as Not Mine? What are the odds of it coming off? It is showing as something that is hurting my score and I'd like it gone. It was never my account, I had asked to be added for credit building purposes and never had the card. Thanks in advance!

Yes all you have to do is tell them the account is not yours and it shouldn't be any problem with them removing it.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 17
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Ok, in EQ, it's not showing from a CA, it's reporting from OC. Balance is 0, current status listed as bad debt/collection. I believe this account is showing as the longest TL at 6 years. Will erasing it hurt my score and is it better gone in the long run. The score simulator does not let me simulate paying it off as it has no balance.

Part II is I haven't ordered my TU report, but I remember seeing this on my last TU from year and a half ago, before I realized I was an AU and way before I found this site. Can I call TU and dispute or do I need to order a current CR for them to take action.
Message 3 of 17
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Well, I just launched an online dispute with EQ as Not Mine. 

The link from TU says I need a current copy of my CR in order to dispute, so I guess I'll see how it goes with EQ first before purchasing the other. EQ said it may take 30-45 days, but I think I've read it sometimes happens much sooner, so let's hope it doesn't take so long.

Message 4 of 17
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I don't foresee you having any problems but with the CRA's you never know. Let us know what happens.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 17
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

I will update as soon as I know an answer. I've grown very fond of this site and community in a short time and enjoy seeing everyone help and encourage each other.
Message 6 of 17
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Got an email stating scorewatch has detected a change in credit report. The change was account is being disputed, reinvestigation under way.
Message 7 of 17
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

The suspense is killing me! Lol. Anyone know how long this usually takes? I hope it's not the 30-45 days they state it can!
Message 8 of 17
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Update: I haven't gotten an email from EQ nor has my SW alerted me (don't know if it will as I'm on free trial mode), but I went on EQ's site and checked status and the account has been deleted. Will it hurt my score as it drops AAoA, help as it gets rid of a bad, or neither as it was an older account with 0 balance showing? Should I await an update or buy another report? If I buy a report @ 30% off for SW subscribers, does that end my trial period and automatically start a subscription? Wow have I got questions now!!! Thanks in advance to all.
Message 9 of 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Having an AU account removed can hurt your score, yes.  But on the other hand, if the account was negative, it could help.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.