Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About sick and tired of limit decreases

tag
wife2froggy
Contributor

About sick and tired of limit decreases

Never been late. Always pay over minimum. Recently Americans have been maxing out their cards and all of us suffer. I got a CLD on a card I didn't use often enough, that's fair, but it jumped my UTI too high and a couple cards did a CLD. Worked really hard to get the UTI back under 30% just to have another card cancel for inactivity within 90 days. Seriously?? There goes the UTI again and suddenly another card CLD. 

I'm so tired of chasing UTI just to get another CLD for being too responsible to use all my cards. 

On the road!
FICO 8 6/15/17 EQ 591 // TU 570 // EX 606

FICO 8 03/15/2021 EQ 702 // TU 700 // EX 699
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: About sick and tired of limit decreases

@wife2froggy wrote:

Never been late. Always pay over minimum. Recently Americans have been maxing out their cards and all of us suffer. I got a CLD on a card I didn't use often enough, that's fair, but it jumped my UTI too high and a couple cards did a CLD. Worked really hard to get the UTI back under 30% just to have another card cancel for inactivity within 90 days. Seriously?? There goes the UTI again and suddenly another card CLD. 

I'm so tired of chasing UTI just to get another CLD for being too responsible to use all my cards. 

That's actually a misconception. Not every cardholder suffers from such effects if things are managed adequately + not every customer tends to carry moderate or high utilization on their credit/charge cards.

While it's true that recent articles have surfaced with household debts on the rise, this is nothing new when it comes to cyclical activities that occur from time to time when any economic impacts occur across the board.

Bottom line, if someone is carrying a significant debt ratio on their accounts (not just one but across several tradelines), lenders' algorithms take notice. If accounts go inactive for a prolonged period, then lenders reserve the right to reduce their exposure. At the end of the day, it's imaginary $$$ and the banks own those credit limits.

So, if this was prevalent for every CC customer across the board you'd be seeing hundreds upon hundreds of CLD or account closure threads.

My advice is to reduce the utilization to levels below 10%. Eventually, as the dust settles, you can reach out to those lenders (depending who performed the CLD) and see whether the CL can be restored.

Message 2 of 6
wife2froggy
Contributor

Yeah like I said, every time a CLD happens it pushes my UTI up, triggering more balance chasing. I know it needs to be under 10% and no, they are not restoring the line. I'm just tired of overpaying to bring my balances down just to have them drop my available line a few months later. 

On the road!
FICO 8 6/15/17 EQ 591 // TU 570 // EX 606

FICO 8 03/15/2021 EQ 702 // TU 700 // EX 699
Message 3 of 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@wife2froggy wrote:

Yeah like I said, every time a CLD happens it pushes my UTI up, triggering more balance chasing. I know it needs to be under 10% and no, they are not restoring the line. I'm just tired of overpaying to bring my balances down just to have them drop my available line a few months later. 

Unfortunately there's not much you can do but to try to keep utilization low across the board (ideally AZEO). And if that's not fiscally possible, then just keep utilization as low as possible and hope for the best.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 6
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

All banks are not the same.

A few high limit cards can help a bunch.

Gotta rotate cards for usage.

Cap One dropped my limits $33k total.

I can't really blame them when I spend a few hundred per month per card on them.

with your scores at 700+ you should be able to find some good new cards.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 6
OniStringer
Regular Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

All banks are not the same.

A few high limit cards can help a bunch.

Gotta rotate cards for usage.

Cap One dropped my limits $33k total.

I can't really blame them when I spend a few hundred per month per card on them.

with your scores at 700+ you should be able to find some good new cards.

GL!

This ^^^

If you don't use the cards unfortunately it is probably bound to happen. Just make sure to keep spending on the ones you use. Keep UTI low as you can and just hope for the best. If a card decreases you or closes, and you need or want another card . With good scores that's usually always possible for someone. 

Started with LOW 500s - Actively rebuilding as of early 2019
//
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.