cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to lose my mind - Equifax!! >_<

Estimate your FICO® Score range for free

FICO® Score Estimator

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Senior Contributor

About to lose my mind - Equifax!! >_<

I am at my wits end here.

 

I have a charge off that has been paid since June of 2014 and hadn't been updated since November of 2014. Ford went and updated the status in April which caused it to appear as a new delinquency in the FICO algorithms (fortunately being on a BK scorecard, I didn't fall far). I called and filed a dispute with Equifax since the DOFD is not incorrect (it says August 1, 2012 and my first late payment was actually 5/16/12 so DOFD should be 6/16/12). Well the dispute results came back today and I went and logged in to the site, it actually didn't have the view results link clickable (wtfico) so I logged out and tried again and of course got the service unavailable.


So... I called. I was informed the dispute came back verified. I did notice that all negative payment history was removed and payments were lit green from 2014 on but of course this doesn't help me because a charge off is always a charge off. I questioned the representative about why they even allowed updating of something that had been paid since 2014 anyway and she couldn't really answer the question and agreed it was unusual but she told me if I have documents about the correct DOFD, they will take them. However, they have to be sent in along with a copy of my driver's license and social security card -- yeah, that's not happening. I asked for a supervisor and he actually informed me that the dispute was filed incorrectly. It was disputed for ownership, not reporting accuracy, which is why it came back verified. He's filed another dispute.

 

Quite frankly I think its ridiculous that they are making me go through all of this for an item that at worst has 3 months remaining time on my credit report but hopefully it gets taken care of this time. Equifax is the worst though... they can't even take a dispute and file it correctly over the phone! Making things worse, if I hadn't asked for the supervisor, I never would have known the dispute was filed incorrectly to begin with. Smiley Frustrated

 

I will never let my credit get messed up again, I can tell you that much for sure! Credit freezes will be staying on too so I hopefully don't ever have to deal with fraud alerts either!

 

Oh FYI, if you have a credit freeze, Equifax will require you to provide them the PIN when you call about your file. This must be something new or the rep just didn't bother to ask me for it when I called and did my dispute last time but since EQ is the only one that doesn't let you pick your PIN, make sure you save that. Its a good thing mine is stored on a document on GDrive so I could access it quickly!


Scores 1/2019:
Scores 8/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards:
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Valued Contributor

Re: About to lose my mind - Equifax!! >_<

Man you have awful luck with the bureaus. I have a derog that'll age off naturally in July. I got EE for it with TU and EX but I’m not even messing with Equifax. If they dump it early on their own, great. If not, I’ll just let it ride the extra 30 days. Last thing I want is to end up in the mess they’ve made of your report 😕


Rose Gold/BCP/Delta Gold/Hilton Surpass/Hilton Honors | IT | Quicksilver | Target | VS | Home Depot | Lowes | Firestone | Wayfair | Kohl’s

Heir apparent to the SJ Special (finally got a Disco CLI of $300)

5/24, 1/24, 76445/24, who cares #HappyWithAmex





Entering the garden 5/27/2019, staying until 2020
Message 2 of 13
Senior Contributor

Re: About to lose my mind - Equifax!! >_<


@ImTheDevil wrote:
Man you have awful luck with the bureaus. I have a derog that'll age off naturally in July. I got EE for it with TU and EX but I’m not even messing with Equifax. If they dump it early on their own, great. If not, I’ll just let it ride the extra 30 days. Last thing I want is to end up in the mess they’ve made of your report 😕

The ironic thing is I never even contacted Equifax. This happened after Experian filed my EE request as a dispute so best working theory is that it was sent to Ford and Ford decided to take it down from EX but if that’s the case, why did they turn around and update it on EQ?

 

Regardless, lesson learned — if it’s not TU, I’m not going to poke the bear. Of course this is my last derog other than my BK so it’s a moot point now anyway. 

 

My EQ 8 as of this morning is 681 so it’s not the end of the universe but it’s still frustrating as heck that they can’t even file a dispute properly!


Scores 1/2019:
Scores 8/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards:
Message 3 of 13
Valued Contributor

Re: About to lose my mind - Equifax!! >_<


@Saeren wrote:

I am at my wits end here.

 

I have a charge off that has been paid since June of 2014 and hadn't been updated since November of 2014. Ford went and updated the status in April which caused it to appear as a new delinquency in the FICO algorithms (fortunately being on a BK scorecard, I didn't fall far). I called and filed a dispute with Equifax since the DOFD is not incorrect (it says August 1, 2012 and my first late payment was actually 5/16/12 so DOFD should be 6/16/12). Well the dispute results came back today and I went and logged in to the site, it actually didn't have the view results link clickable (wtfico) so I logged out and tried again and of course got the service unavailable.


So... I called. I was informed the dispute came back verified. I did notice that all negative payment history was removed and payments were lit green from 2014 on but of course this doesn't help me because a charge off is always a charge off. I questioned the representative about why they even allowed updating of something that had been paid since 2014 anyway and she couldn't really answer the question and agreed it was unusual but she told me if I have documents about the correct DOFD, they will take them. However, they have to be sent in along with a copy of my driver's license and social security card -- yeah, that's not happening. I asked for a supervisor and he actually informed me that the dispute was filed incorrectly. It was disputed for ownership, not reporting accuracy, which is why it came back verified. He's filed another dispute.

 

Quite frankly I think its ridiculous that they are making me go through all of this for an item that at worst has 3 months remaining time on my credit report but hopefully it gets taken care of this time. Equifax is the worst though... they can't even take a dispute and file it correctly over the phone! Making things worse, if I hadn't asked for the supervisor, I never would have known the dispute was filed incorrectly to begin with. Smiley Frustrated

 

I will never let my credit get messed up again, I can tell you that much for sure! Credit freezes will be staying on too so I hopefully don't ever have to deal with fraud alerts either!

 

Oh FYI, if you have a credit freeze, Equifax will require you to provide them the PIN when you call about your file. This must be something new or the rep just didn't bother to ask me for it when I called and did my dispute last time but since EQ is the only one that doesn't let you pick your PIN, make sure you save that. Its a good thing mine is stored on a document on GDrive so I could access it quickly!


Sorry you're  having to still deal with this mess.
I keep thinking I want to Dispute with Experian to get my DOFD at least set correctly, but I'm terrified to touch them after the mess that happened last time.
I'm definitely staying the heck away from EQ.




Garden goal: keep on keepin' on until 2020.
Message 4 of 13
Senior Contributor

Re: About to lose my mind - Equifax!! >_<

Thanks @calyx. Ugh! Never again! 

 

The level of incompetence is astounding... I just hope Ford doesn’t turn around and dismiss the new dispute as frivolous because of the rep screwing up the first one... we will see. The fact that Ford removed the negative payment history altogether tells me that they aren’t trying to be difficult but this is just nuts for an account so old!

 

I would definitely leave well enough alone in your case. Experian and Equifax have to be two of the most incompetent companies on the planet!


Scores 1/2019:
Scores 8/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards:
Message 5 of 13
Frequent Contributor

Re: About to lose my mind - Equifax!! >_<

EQ sucks, period.  The worst of the worst.  I have been talking to them literally every few days for months via phone.  I called a few weeks ago and they said they can't verify my identity...I must have talked to 10 people that day and supervisors.  Absolutely dumb.  I just got around now to faxing in their request for my license and social security card.   I wish I could snap my fingers and EQ would cease to exist.

| BofA Premium Rewards $65k | BofA BankAmericard $30k | Amex Zync $5k | Amex ED $25k | Amex CashMagnet $20K | Amex Gold $45k POT | Amex Platinum | NFCU CR $17k | Discover it CB $15k | Capital One QS $5k |
Utilization 1% | AAOA 2yrs, 3months |



July 2019 - EQ8: 801 | EX8:804 | TU8: 814
Message 6 of 13
Senior Contributor

Re: About to lose my mind - Equifax!! >_<


@FicoGuy2019 wrote:

EQ sucks, period.  The worst of the worst.  I have been talking to them literally every few days for months via phone.  I called a few weeks ago and they said they can't verify my identity...I must have talked to 10 people that day and supervisors.  Absolutely dumb.  I just got around now to faxing in their request for my license and social security card.   I wish I could snap my fingers and EQ would cease to exist.


That’s a lot of phone calls! 

 

I was about to make this supervisor’s day be an awful one if he didn’t take ownership of them screwing up my dispute and making this problem get dragged out even more but to my surprise, he did take ownership, he apologized, and he filed a new dispute to get it updated to match the dates I have on my records. 

 

I was definitely glad I had just pulled my report that morning though. They asked me about a student loan account from 2010 as part of verification - like I’m going to remember how much the monthly payment was on a student loan that was transferred out of US Dept of Education to somewhere else!

 

They also made me go through verification with the initial rep and again with the supervisor. 

 

I definitely agree that they need to just die. 


Scores 1/2019:
Scores 8/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards:
Message 7 of 13
Moderator

Re: About to lose my mind - Equifax!! >_<

A case in point to show why disputes should always be described in detail on paper and sent in thru the US Mail. Strange Ford would update, one possibility is if you sent them a GW letter trying to get it off they may have just done it for spite.
"If there's a lack of money in your life, understand that feeling worried, envious, jealous, disappointed, discouraged, doubtful or fearful about money can never bring more money to you, because those feelings come from a lack of gratitude for the money you have."

"Reactions are powerful creators because they contain every element needed to manifest—they're a combination of thought, belief, and feeling in action. Positive reactions create more positive things, and negative reactions create more negative things. If you can respond to negative situations calmly and lightly, instead of with emotional turbulence, what happens next in your life will be so much better."

- Rhonda Byrne

Message 8 of 13
Senior Contributor

Re: About to lose my mind - Equifax!! >_<


@gdale6 wrote:
A case in point to show why disputes should always be described in detail on paper and sent in thru the US Mail. Strange Ford would update, one possibility is if you sent them a GW letter trying to get it off they may have just done it for spite.

I don’t do anything through US Mail. It hasn’t been a problem until now. I had no idea that the bureaus were so incompetent they can’t even take a dispute over the phone and I had never actually had a problem using online disputes in the past. 

 

I never tried to GW with Ford. It wasn’t worth it for me because I had student loans that were due to fall off at the same time so I was going to wait but then I had such an easy time with TU and EE that I tried with EX and it all went horribly wrong from there. 

 

In the end though, I did get EE from EX so hopefully I’ll get this either fixed or removed now that the proper dispute has been submitted. 


Scores 1/2019:
Scores 8/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards:
Message 9 of 13
Established Contributor

Re: About to lose my mind - Equifax!! >_<

Different way of thinking about this:
If the account is going to fall off in the next 3 months if you do nothing, why are you putting yourself through this? Are you planning on a mortgage app before then?
Scores hover around 800
Haven't been AZEO in over a year
Rome was not built in a day, neither is a good credit profile
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.