Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Absolutely DISGUSTING

tag
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

Absolutely DISGUSTING

Can someone please tell me if I'm justifed in thinking this or am I just being crazy:

In 2008, Credit One Bank sold my debt of $739 to Portfolio Recovery.

Porftolio and Credit One Bank both show up on my CR--that's fine, they're both due to fall off in 6/2013. 

But in 2010, Porfolio sold my $739 debt to Jefferson Capital. This is where it gets cross. (I figured this out on my own without contacting anyone and without any trail on my CR)

On my CR it says Jefferson Capital was due to fall off in 9/2017.. this whole time I'm thinking, "I don't remember having a credit card with them in 2010." I just assumed it was a separate debt from above, because the balance was different.

But then I realized: the balance for Jefferson Capital is $738 and that last payment was made in 2010. I think they're saying I made a $1 payment, which reset the SOL, which is why the other two for the same debt is due to fall off in 6/13, but this one with their agency even though it's the same debt is due to fall off in 2017 because it said my last payment was made in 2010. . I NEVER made a $1 payment, **bleep**?

WHAT can I do about this? Is this even LEGAL?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: Absolutely DISGUSTING

No its not legal. Report them to your attorney general, the ftc, the new credit watching agency cfpb or something like that, and the bbb.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 20
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

All sorts of illegal, and not uncommon.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 20
Henchman21
Frequent Contributor

Hmm, I have one of these too. The jerks!
2/16/13 Scores EX: 594, TU:513, EQ:563 -- Cap One Secured: $200, Kay's: $400

GOAL #1: 625 -- CHECK!

3/31/15 Scores TU: 621 -- Cap One Secured: $750, Kay's: $900, CareCredit: $1000, Aerie $350, Fingerhut $1350

Goal #2: A travel card. REC ME!
Message 4 of 20
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

This looks to be a case of reaging.  First off, even if a $1 payment, or any payment was made to a CA it would not reset the DOFD for the CRTP.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 20
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your response--what does reaging mean? I'm sorry... 

Does that mean it's legal for this to happen?

Thank you to everyone else who responded as well. I went ahead and filed a complaint with BBB. On Monday, I will report to the other avenues you suggested as well. I mean, if anything, it IS falsely reporting, because I never made a payment of $1.00. It just sounds crazy. 

A few weeks ago, I filed a complaint with the BBB against them, because I sent them two certified DV letters, and they never responded. But last week, they responded on BBB and said they would close the account and delete from my tradeline as a "courtesy." (This was obviously before I realized what happened above.)

They did update the status as closed last week, but the TL is still there. 

Message 6 of 20
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@Jon85 wrote:

Can someone please tell me if I'm justifed in thinking this or am I just being crazy:

In 2008, Credit One Bank sold my debt of $739 to Portfolio Recovery.

Porftolio and Credit One Bank both show up on my CR--that's fine, they're both due to fall off in 6/2013. 

But in 2010, Porfolio sold my $739 debt to Jefferson Capital. This is where it gets cross. (I figured this out on my own without contacting anyone and without any trail on my CR)

On my CR it says Jefferson Capital was due to fall off in 9/2017.. this whole time I'm thinking, "I don't remember having a credit card with them in 2010." I just assumed it was a separate debt from above, because the balance was different.

But then I realized: the balance for Jefferson Capital is $738 and that last payment was made in 2010. I think they're saying I made a $1 payment, which reset the SOL, which is why the other two for the same debt is due to fall off in 6/13, but this one with their agency even though it's the same debt is due to fall off in 2017 because it said my last payment was made in 2010. . I NEVER made a $1 payment, **bleep**?

WHAT can I do about this? Is this even LEGAL?

@this is what is called a phatom payment, it could restart the SOL lucky for you, you have caught it. It is illegal and can definately be grounds for deletion as it is a complete violation of the FCRA and FDCPA. -1 on me @ shogun...Im on beer number 5 and slow at typing tonight cause im double fisting!!!!! LMAO

Message 7 of 20
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for responding...okay, so if it's a grounds for deletion, and they do delete it,  can it still pop back up later on my CR, if they sell it to another CA? Or is it illegal for them to sell it to another agency with the false information? Because if it's illegal for them to do that, then I don't have to be afraid of that because the OC and CA TLs are due to fall off in 6/13 so that means even if another CA buys it they can't report it--right? Unless they go along with the new false info.. 

Yeah, I'm glad I caught it--but the thing is, but the OC TL and the CA #1 TL are both due to fall off in 6/13... but this one says 6/17 because it says I made a $1 payment in 2010, is it still okay that I caught it now even though it was updated in those terms 3 years ago and says it will be removed 2/17?

I mean, I'm not afraid they wont delete it.. they have to. 

But I'm just afraid that they can sell it to another CA with that false 2010 payment information and that the new CA will pop up on my CR again and be due to be removed in 2017, when the original debt is due off in 2 months. Should I worry about that?

OH and also.. if it does some how go to next levels, how do I prove that I DIDN'T make a $1 payment or any payment? That's what I'm worried about too! 

Message 8 of 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Jon85 wrote:

Thank you for your response--what does reaging mean? I'm sorry... 

Does that mean it's legal for this to happen?

Thank you to everyone else who responded as well. I went ahead and filed a complaint with BBB. On Monday, I will report to the other avenues you suggested as well. I mean, if anything, it IS falsely reporting, because I never made a payment of $1.00. It just sounds crazy. 

A few weeks ago, I filed a complaint with the BBB against them, because I sent them two certified DV letters, and they never responded. But last week, they responded on BBB and said they would close the account and delete from my tradeline as a "courtesy." (This was obviously before I realized what happened above.)

They did update the status as closed last week, but the TL is still there. 

Re-aging is when someone illegaly changes the DoFD.  Which it appears Jefferson did.  It has nothing to do with payments.  Nobody can change the DoFD, it is a federal law.

I would file a complaint with the FTC.  They have already been sued once by them.  I would insist the TL be removed, not updated.

Message 9 of 20
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

How can I prove that they did though? I don't know what they put in their system, and I'm afraid if they sell it to another CA that the false information will follow and that the new CA will come for me until 2017 like they tried to do.

Is me having my credit report with the OC TL stating that my DOFD was in 2006 enough proof? I never dealt with something like this before, so it's a bit scary... 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.