Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account Re-Aged?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Account Re-Aged?

Looking into my CR I found a account was re reported with another 30/60/90 late status after the account was already charged off over a year prior. Could this be a new CA reporting? Or could is the be original creditor trying to re age my account? I havent been in contact with this creditor since last payment in 2017. All info still shows the account is with the original creditor but the re reporting is throwing me off. All justice has been done on my credit report and now I am jist focused on rebuilding a hick up in my life a few years back.
Any help or input would be appreciated. Debating on disputing for a re aged account, letting it maybe be sold again if this was from a 3rd party CA, or just contact the agency directly to figure out terms on settling.

PS first post to the forum and im trying to uplod a picture of said topic...
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

Re: Account Re-Aged?

@Anonymous wrote:
Looking into my CR I found a account was re reported with another 30/60/90 late status after the account was already charged off over a year prior. Could this be a new CA reporting? Or could is the be original creditor trying to re age my account? I havent been in contact with this creditor since last payment in 2017. All info still shows the account is with the original creditor but the re reporting is throwing me off. All justice has been done on my credit report and now I am jist focused on rebuilding a hick up in my life a few years back.
Any help or input would be appreciated. Debating on disputing for a re aged account, letting it maybe be sold again if this was from a 3rd party CA, or just contact the agency directly to figure out terms on settling.

PS first post to the forum and im trying to uplod a picture of said topic...

If its a new CA ask that the debt be recalled to the OC and pay them if possible. If not get a PFD from the CA and debts cannot be re-aged so its probably because they just bought the account.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im not sure if it is a new CA as my personal information i.e. address/phone number has not been updated with original lender. So im unsure of the current status. But from the updated 30/60/90 im leaning towards its a CA re updating report and now re sold possibly from updated after 90 day to charge off.
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A creditor has the option when reporting delinquency status of their account to either report it as a delinquency status that incorporates the period of its delinquency (i.e., 30-late, 60-late, etc.), OR, if the debt has also been charged-off as simply CO.

If they report as CO rather than, for example, 120-late, that informs others that the debt is delinquent, and has also reached the state where the creditor does not anticipate, per federal guidelines, that the debt will be paid.  If they report CO, they must also report the DOFD, which then provides others the ability to also assess the total period of delinquency.

REporting status as CO does not terminate the delinquency if it remains unpaid, or otherwise relieve the consumer from any obligation for the entire debt, and it is totally proper to continue to report as remaining delinquent, either by CO or, for example, 150-late.

While such reporting does "re-age" the reported period since initial delinquency, that is totally proper.

"Improper reaging" is a term that refers to changing the reported DOFD to a later, and inaccurate, date, which then affects the credit report exclusion date.

Simply updated reporting that shows continued or increased period of delinquency is not improper reaging.

Debt collectors dont specifically report payment history profile, such as 120-late.

Their reporing of an open, unpaid collection is inherently a reporting of continued delinquency status, and their required reporting of DOFD then permits others to determine the overall period since initial delinquency.

The CRAs do not provide field codes for reporting of monthly delinquencies/payment history profile for collections.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.