Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added to someone's credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Added to someone's credit card?

Over 3 years ago my mother added me to her USAA credit card that had a credit limit of $17,500. At the time she had hardly any debt with that credit card and within a couple months my credit score improved. Since I've been added it shows 38 on-time payments with no delinquencies. I just found out last month that my mother has utilized 95% of her credit limit building her new home. Should I remove myself from her credit card or will this still help me rebuild my credit? I don't see her being able to pay off this credit card to under 30% for another year.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Added to someone's credit card?

@Anonymous wrote:
Over 3 years ago my mother added me to her USAA credit card that had a credit limit of $17,500. At the time she had hardly any debt with that credit card and within a couple months my credit score improved. Since I've been added it shows 38 on-time payments with no delinquencies. I just found out last month that my mother has utilized 95% of her credit limit building her new home. Should I remove myself from her credit card or will this still help me rebuild my credit? I don't see her being able to pay off this credit card to under 30% for another year.

It depends on whether or not you have built your own profile and have substantial available credit to offset some of the hit that will come from a maxed out card. AUs should be canceled at a point that you have re-estabilshed your own credit unless of course its your spouse. Welcome to myFico Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
GApeachy
Super Contributor

If you do take a big hit  you could ask mom to take you off and then when she has it paid back down have her add you back on again....if you want that cl to pad your report later on.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right now I don't have any credit card history at all. As of late in the past 30 days I have acquire to secure credit cards, a self lender account and I just bought a car at 17% interest rate all of this has been done within 30 days. I'm just now trying to build credit. I do have some negative hits on my credit right now that I'm trying to take care of
Message 4 of 5
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Right now I don't have any credit card history at all. As of late in the past 30 days I have acquire to secure credit cards, a self lender account and I just bought a car at 17% interest rate all of this has been done within 30 days. I'm just now trying to build credit. I do have some negative hits on my credit right now that I'm trying to take care of

As mom's card is paid down along and along it's going to help you.  Good luck on your buildingSmiley Wink

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.