Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Needed - Settled State Farm Charge Off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice Needed - Settled State Farm Charge Off

@Anonymous 

Here is the Barclay's account.  I have a settlement offer in hand for $8k after nearly a month of negotiating with them.  My only concern is that they will report like State Farm did and not like my other creditors (Amex, Wells Fargo, Chase, Discover, Sofi) all did.

The settlement letter from them reads:

"As of the date of this letter, your account balance is $19,995.  Once receipt of the agreed settlement amount of $7,998 by August 8, 2020 (plus an additional 15 day waiting period to validate funds *huge eyeroll here*) is confirmed we will consider your account balance settled - for an amount less than the full balance - and will send an update to the credit reporting agencies. "

To date they are the only creditor who will not allow me to submit payment over the phone.  They kept this CO in house and never sent it out for collections.  Was very difficult to even find someone to discuss a settlement offer with.

So, I am going to drop a cashier's check in overnight mail to them this afternoon.

However, after reading the other comments on this thread that it could just be an issue of taking 2 payment cycles to clear, that makes sense.  I see from my alert history that this is what happened with my Wells Fargo settlement.   Also, I now have the proper information on how to proceed.  Smiley Happy

Anyhow, here is the Barclays account:

EQUIFAXTRANSUNIONEXPERIAN

Last Updated

Jul-20

Jul-20

Jul-20

Payment Status

Charge-off

Charged off as bad debt

Unpaid balance reported as a loss by credit grantor

Worst Delinquency

Bad debt/collection

None Reported

Charge Off/Other Derog

Balance

$19,995

$19,995

$19,995

Credit Limit

$19,000

$19,000

$19,000

Credit Utilization

105%

105%

105%

Closed Date

11/10/2017

Open Date

Aug-11

Aug-11

Aug-11

Last Activity

Aug-17

Jan-18

Terms

Revolving

Scheduled Payment

High Balance

$21,243

Loan Type

Credit Card

Credit Card

Credit Card

Responsibility

Individual

Individual Account

Individual

Company Name

Barclays Bank Delawa

Barclays Bank Delaware

Barclays Bank Delaware

Account Number

XXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXX

Contact Info

P.O. Box 8803 - Wilmington, DE (888) 232-0780  

Comments

Charged off account Account closed by credit grantor

Account closed by credit grantor

Account Closed At Credit Grantor's Request

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous I don’t think you’re gonna have a problem and I think you’re going to see a nice score increase due to reduced utilization.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Hopefully state farm updates in the next cycle and that works out well also. But if it doesn’t, you know exactly what to do. As I said two cycles is customary but its good to give 90 days.

If you don’t see any correction 90 days from when you made the settlement, I would proceed as outlined above. Heck, I guess it couldn’t hurt to send the MOV request at 60 days, that way you should be prepared at around 90 days, if necessary for the CFPB complaint.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  I crunched the numbers and if Barclays and SFB report property my utilization rate will drop from 99,89,89 to 2, 2, 2.

Just playing a patient waiting game now!

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You’re going to see a decent score increase!!
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Follow up - it took until now and having to run a rapid rescore, but both the State Farm and Barclays are now reporting properly and my scores all went up 60+ points.  

Message 16 of 18
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Follow up - it took until now and having to run a rapid rescore, but both the State Farm and Barclays are now reporting properly and my scores all went up 60+ points.  

Congrats!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations that’s what’s up
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.