Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for the next step in rebuilding and getting a better credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice for the next step in rebuilding and getting a better credit card

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this. If not, please let me know.

A family member left my wife and I a house in a will, and we are planning to move in May of this year (our lease will be up). The house needs to have the floors replaced, and a few small repairs done. I'm estimating $10k in work. This really needs to be done before we move in. I can take money out of savings, but it would be a big hit. I would like to use a NFCU platinum or Lowe's card to cover half of the expenses. However currently I don't think that's possible to get till June of this year, maybe Aug.

I know the Defaulted Student Loans and the collection from Adastra are killing my score. 

The student Loans are in rehab, so I can't speed that up. That completes in May this year. Hoping to reflect on my reports by June.

Ad Astra from what I've read won't budge on the PFD till 2 years. That's June of this year.

I prequalified for all of NFCU cards, applied for platinum and denied last night. My Secured card graduated to Cash Rewards November last year. I also did a CLI on my Amex last night and was given the 7-10 days message. I periodically check prequalified offers, and the only one I'm getting is Capital One. Credit One pre-approved me for the Amex with a $1500 SL. I really don't want to accept this though. 

I've been rebuilding my credit for a few years now. I have been lucky with PFD, and some baddies have aged off. This is where I currently stand.

1 Collection Reporting on all 3. Ad Astra $4500. I know I can PFD after 2 years. The 2 year mark is June of this year.

Amex Delta Gold $1000 SL. I was approved in January. The card has had $0 balance on the statement. It is not reporting on any of the three though. 

I have 8-10 hard inquires over the last two years depending on the report. 5-6 will fall off my June of this year from each report.

Equifax- Fico 8 631

NFCU Cash Rewards- Graduated from secure, 18 months on time payments. This is my daily driver. Sometimes reports a balance, but mostly paid off every month. $2000 CL.

Credit One Platnium- $450 CL, 32 months on time payments. Never reports balance.

Amex Everyday- $500 CL. Authorized user. 17 months on time payments. Never reports balance.

Sears/CBNA- $11,700 CL. Authorized user. 27 on time payments. Never reports balance. 22 year old account.

Badcock Furniture- $4500 CL. 48 months on time payments. Reports small balance. Buy something every year, to keep account open.

9 closed accounts-

3 student loan trade lines in default. I am in rehabilitation. I complete this in May of this year. $1600 balance between the 3 trade lines. Report monthly CO.

1 trade line went to collection in 2019, I paid it off. Reporting closed paid collection. Affected by natural disaster.

the other 5 are positive, though I have 6 late payments from 2019. 3 are marked as affected by natural disaster.

Transunion- Fico 8 610

Reporting Same as above. Except the Badcock account does not report to TU.

Experian- Fico 8 651

Same as above.

*MY QUESTION*

If I asked for reconsideration on the NFCU Platnium. Explained the situation, and informed them of the student loan rehab, and Ad Astra deletion in May-Jun. Would I have a shot? Should I even mention the Adastra PFD? 

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Platinum Recon

If I asked for reconsideration on the NFCU Platnium. Explained the situation, and informed them of the student loan rehab, and Ad Astra deletion in May-Jun. Would I have a shot? Should I even mention the Adastra PFD? 

I prequalified for all of NFCU cards, applied for platinum and denied last night. My Secured card graduated to Cash Rewards November last year.

I've been rebuilding my credit for a few years now. I have been lucky with PFD, and some baddies have aged off. This is where I currently stand.

1 Collection Reporting on all 3. Ad Astra $4500. I know I can PFD after 2 years. The 2 year mark is June of this year.

Amex Delta Gold $1000 SL. I was approved in January. The card has had $0 balance on the statement. It is not reporting on any of the three though. 

I have 8-10 hard inquires over the last two years depending on the report. 5-6 will fall off my June of this year from each report.

Equifax- Fico 8 631

NFCU Cash Rewards- Graduated from secure, 18 months on time payments. This is my daily driver. Sometimes reports a balance, but mostly paid off every month. $2000 CL.

Credit One Platnium- $450 CL, 32 months on time payments. Never reports balance.

Amex Everyday- $500 CL. Authorized user. 17 months on time payments. Never reports balance.

Sears/CBNA- $11,700 CL. Authorized user. 27 on time payments. Never reports balance. 22 year old account.

Badcock Furniture- $4500 CL. 48 months on time payments. Reports small balance. Buy something every year, to keep account open.

9 closed accounts-

3 student loan trade lines in default. I am in rehabilitation. I complete this in May of this year. $1600 balance between the 3 trade lines. Report monthly CO.

1 trade line went to collection in 2019, I paid it off. Reporting closed paid collection. Affected by natural disaster.

the other 5 are positive, though I have 6 late payments from 2019 (lost my job during a disaster). 3 are marked as affected by natural disaster.

Transunion- Fico 8 610

Experian- Fico 8 651

Same as above.

I  know the Defaulted Student Loans and the collection from Adastra are killing my score. 

The student Loans are in rehab, so I can't speed that up. That completes in May this year. Hoping to reflect on my reports by June.

Ad Astra from what I've read won't budge on the PFD till 2 years. That's June of this year.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Platinum Recon

@Anonymous wrote:

I prequalified for all of NFCU cards, applied for platinum and denied last night. My Secured card graduated to Cash Rewards November last year.

Equifax- Fico 8 631

9 closed accounts-

the other 5 are positive, though I have 6 late payments from 2019 (lost my job during a disaster). 3 are marked as affected by natural disaster.

Transunion- Fico 8 610

Experian- Fico 8 651

Same as above.

I  know the Defaulted Student Loans and the collection from Adastra are killing my score. 

You can send them a secure message and request reconsideration. That said, history has shown that the denied status of a new card application with NFCU is rarely overturned. 

Message 3 of 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: NFCU Platinum Recon

Hello and welcome to the forums 

@Anonymous I've merged your near identical threads into one.

Please avoid cross-posting, it causes confusion. 

Since majority of your post is about negatives on your CR, merged threads will remain in RYC.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice for the next step in rebuilding and getting a better credit card

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this. If not, please let me know.

A family member left my wife and I a house in a will, and we are planning to move in May of this year (our lease will be up). The house needs to have the floors replaced, and a few small repairs done. I'm estimating $10k in work. This really needs to be done before we move in. I can take money out of savings, but it would be a big hit. I would like to use a NFCU platinum or Lowe's card to cover half of the expenses. However currently I don't think that's possible to get till June of this year, maybe Aug.

I know the Defaulted Student Loans and the collection from Adastra are killing my score. 

I prequalified for all of NFCU cards, applied for platinum and denied last night. My Secured card graduated to Cash Rewards November last year. I also did a CLI on my Amex last night and was given the 7-10 days message. I periodically check prequalified offers, and the only one I'm getting is Capital One. Credit One pre-approved me for the Amex with a $1500 SL. I really don't want to accept this though. 

Equifax- Fico 8 631

9 closed accounts-

the other 5 are positive, though I have 6 late payments from 2019. 3 are marked as affected by natural disaster.

Transunion- Fico 8 610

Experian- Fico 8 651

Same as above.

*MY QUESTION*

AD Astra does PFD 2 years from DoFD, not the date the CA was opened. Does that change the date at all for you? If it is your absolute only CA, it should help your scores.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice for the next step in rebuilding and getting a better credit card

Dofd 06/19/19. Can't pay it till then. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.