Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed on a collected debt and interest

tag
willuw
Established Member

Re: Advice needed on a collected debt and interest

Yes, and I have fought with BOA to validate the debt and they were never able to - they kept pushing that it was written off and was out of their hands.

I had an attourney even fight with them and he did not get anywhere with them either - he was only able to get them to update with the credit bureaus to quit showing it as a current debt when BOA even admitted the account was closed in 2006 and no payments made since.

I am with you on BOA is the problem (I think everyone knows BOA is the problem Smiley Happy) - and I hate to deal with the CA since they obviously are not running properly - they haven't even tried to collect on it since they took it in over a year - my feeling is because they probably know they wont get anything from me because its not a valid debt and they see I disputed it on all 3 credit reports..

Starting Score: 609 (Feb 1, 2013)
Current Score: 704
Goal Score: 750

Updated: Dec 9, 2019
Message 21 of 52
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 22 of 52
willuw
Established Member

I have sent disputes to BOA before, but how do I do it under the FCRA?

Message 23 of 52
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I've been following the posts between you and guiness and I think there are 2 different issues here.

1.  The original bill with BOA and what they stated was an $8,000 debt.  You want to know where this originated from.  I totally understand that and agree with the direct dispute on that.  Now the problem with this is, they've sold the debt and don't have any claims to anything from you now so they aren't cooperating with you.  You just want to know where this debt came from and why so much.

2.  Calvary now owns this debt, which when they got it, was $8000 and has doubled in a year.  That's a freaking ridiculous amount, and I'm not totally sure they could even add any interest to it, much less what they are charging.

Now, the good news, seems like it's past the SOL, so driving it up so freaking high isn't going to do a lot of good, seems like it would discourage someone from paying.  I'd send them a DV requesting itemization for this debt.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 24 of 52
willuw
Established Member

shogun,

You pretty much nailed it spot on.

BOA is the opposite of cooperation.

Even on the CA it shows the original debt as 8K but current balance of over 15K - you would think that alone would throw up some red flags? and it has not even been a year - about 9 or 10 months since they supposedly took control of it.

The BOA SHOULD be past SOL but they are showing on CR of closing on Jan 2012 which I dont think is accurate but when I disputed it did not change (although on another agency it is a much earlir date)

The CA part is showing CURRENT as of January 2013 - is this possible if I have never made 1 payment to the CA? They have reported every month since they took over in 2012 as it being a current debt of over 15k...so no SOL with them...

Message 25 of 52
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

OK, actually, yes the SOL is still past on those.  The dates you have listed have nothing to do with setting the SOL nor the CRTP of the accounts.  This is done by the DOFD of the account and they cannot change that.

The details on it also say: This account is scheduled to continue on record until Jun 2014. This item was updated from our processing of your dispute in Jul 2012.

This should put your DOFD around 12/2006 or so.  None of the other dates matter, not when the CA lists the account open, or if they list current, DOLA or anything.  Their DOFD must match that of BOA's DOFD.

July 2013 score:

Message 26 of 52
willuw
Established Member

So what should I do? This item listed as a $15K current debt on all 3 is killing my score.  I have had lendors deny me solely because of this one entry..

Message 27 of 52
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Send the direct dispute to BOA and the DV to Calvary.  See what comes back.

July 2013 score:

Message 28 of 52
willuw
Established Member

I am not quite sure I completely understand what that means.  I understand if the debt is outside of SOL it can not be collected.  But they are still reporting it as current on all my CR

Message 29 of 52
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@willuw wrote:

I am not quite sure I completely understand what that means.  I understand if the debt is outside of SOL it can not be collected.  But they are still reporting it as current on all my CR

That's not true.  It can be collected, any debt that is unpaid is collectable, being past the SOL just means it's not possible to take you to court and get a judgement.  And when it passes the CRTP mark, it will be excluded from your CRs, except for the 2 circumstances I told you about earlier.

July 2013 score:

Message 30 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.