Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on how to respond to Synchrony?

tag
reckedhim
Frequent Contributor

Advice on how to respond to Synchrony?

So after numerous emails and letters to Synchrony to get them to GW late payments on my girlfriend's closed account with them (which went to collections and was paid off), she got a letter in the mail from them that wasn't the same as their previous responses.  She's not disputing that the payments were late.  It was an account opened with her ex-husband that he was supposed to pay per the divorce decree but failed to do so.  So it hurt her credit as well.  She's the one that paid it off.

Would sending a copy of the divorce decree help convince them to remove the late payments?  

Anyway, the letter states the following:

"We recently received your request to verify information in regard to the account referenced above.  Our records indicate that we previously received and responded to your inquiry by providing information from our accounting records.

We believe the information previously provided is accurate and complete.  However, if you choose to dispute this debt or information we have furnished to a credit-reporting agency regarding this debt, we request that you send your dispute, in writing, to the address provided at the top of this letter.  Please identify the inaccurate information and tell us why you believe it is incorrect.  If you have a copy of your consumer credit report, please include a copy for our review.

Please note that as stated above we believe we have previously responded to your request, so we are anxious to close this matter to our mutual satisfaction.  If we do not receive your written dispute within 15 days of the date on this letter we will consider this matter resolved and closed.

If you have questions, or if we may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at the number shown below.

Sincerely,

Synchrony Bank"

Thanks in advance for your help

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on how to respond to Synchrony?

@reckedhim wrote:

So after numerous emails and letters to Synchrony to get them to GW late payments on my girlfriend's closed account with them (which went to collections and was paid off), she got a letter in the mail from them that wasn't the same as their previous responses.  She's not disputing that the payments were late.  It was an account opened with her ex-husband that he was supposed to pay per the divorce decree but failed to do so.  So it hurt her credit as well.  She's the one that paid it off.

Would sending a copy of the divorce decree help convince them to remove the late payments?  

Anyway, the letter states the following:

"We recently received your request to verify information in regard to the account referenced above.  Our records indicate that we previously received and responded to your inquiry by providing information from our accounting records.

We believe the information previously provided is accurate and complete.  However, if you choose to dispute this debt or information we have furnished to a credit-reporting agency regarding this debt, we request that you send your dispute, in writing, to the address provided at the top of this letter.  Please identify the inaccurate information and tell us why you believe it is incorrect.  If you have a copy of your consumer credit report, please include a copy for our review.

Please note that as stated above we believe we have previously responded to your request, so we are anxious to close this matter to our mutual satisfaction.  If we do not receive your written dispute within 15 days of the date on this letter we will consider this matter resolved and closed.

If you have questions, or if we may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at the number shown below.

Sincerely,

Synchrony Bank"

Thanks in advance for your help

I personally would send it in proving the other was to pay it per order/agreement.

I would also say that you agree that they are reporting correctly. But would beg them to consider a goodwill deletion based on the circumstances. Also let them know you ultimately paid the debt to make sure they got their deserved money.

Message 2 of 15
reckedhim
Frequent Contributor

The debt was paid to the collection agency after it was charged off.
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@reckedhim wrote:
The debt was paid to the collection agency after it was charged off.

Who is the collection agency?

Is Synchrony and the collection agency reporting, or just Synchrony?

Message 4 of 15
reckedhim
Frequent Contributor

Just synchrony. They're reporting that it was charged off. The collection agency didn't report it.
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@reckedhim wrote:
Just synchrony. They're reporting that it was charged off. The collection agency didn't report it.

Good. Move forward with Synchrony as I suggested.

Let Synchrony know that CA was paid. And that you are begging for a GW deletion due to the circumstances that you will carefully explain.

Message 6 of 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The items listed are covered under the direct dispute rules implemented by 16 CFR 660. as relevant if a consumer files a direct dispute.

In particular, a consumer can send a direct dispute to a furnisher's general business address unless the furnisher has provided a specific address to which all direct disputes must be sent.  See 16 CFR 660.4(c).

They are not suggesting that the information should be disputed.  They are simply providing a standard notice in the event that the consumer should elect to dispute the accuracy.  It is standard and is advisory only.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have received some GW from Synchrony (how much is yet to see -  appears to be an amazing amount, but I'll know more over the next couple of months when it all hits my CRs), and I think calling in and explaining with my voice to an actual human being was what really helped my case. Circumstances were tough and I poured my heart out but accepted all blame.

It sounds like your GF has a true story to tell. I would have her tell it to a real person using a phone call.

ETA: If her name was connected to the account, she was at fault as far as the bank was concerned. I woould admit that part, personally. Take responsibility.

Best of luck.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have received some GW from Synchrony (how much is yet to see -  appears to be an amazing amount, but I'll know more over the next couple of months when it all hits my CRs), and I think calling in and explaining with my voice to an actual human being was what really helped my case. Circumstances were tough and I poured my heart out but accepted all blame. It sounds like your GF has a true story to tell. I would have her tell it to a real person using a phone call.

Best of luck.

I would email or send snail mail addressed to the CEO.

Don't waste your time calling on the phone and speaking to front line CSR's, you will get nowhere.

What leads you to believe you got some GW? Did the CSR say they would pass your concerns on and note your account? 

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, they put it in writing and sent me a letter. Wasn't front line CSR. First time I called I asked for a manager, second time I called the customer service number on the letter I received.  

OP, do what feels right. I am only beginning on this journey, so you may want to take the advice of others over me. Just thought I  would share my experience with you.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.