Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on paid collections and chargeoffs

tag
duke198
Established Member

Advice on paid collections and chargeoffs

Hello, what a great resource this forum has been. I was hoping to get input on any options I may have with paid collections and chargeoffs not reporting as paid as agreed... If that's even possible. I have 18 collection accounts that have all be paid, but 10 still report as bad debt or past due with a 0 balance.

I am currently working towards a 640 score to get a mortgage. last month my FICO was at 582 (from myfico), I have 4 small $500 limit cards opened 1 year ago with $0 balances, I also just paid off another line of credit through a tire dealer. I have not had a late in over a year reported nor any new collections. As it stands once my reports update I should have no or minimal utilization which I'm hoping will move my score in the correct direction.

Do I have any hope in working with the original collection agencies that have been paid to remove the accounts through GW letters or another means?

Thanks much, I know time is the best measure to improve my score, but I'd like to do all I can to hurry it along.

Starting Score: EQ-582 TU-602 EXP-?
Current Score: EQ-607 TU-632 EXP-669 Lender Pull 2/3/11
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice on paid collections and chargeoffs

While paying collections is a noble and right thing to do IMO they have no impact on your scores. Charge-offs on the other hand that have been paid usually have a positive affect. 

Since the collections and charge-offs are already paid, you are correct in making an attempt to GW them. Just keep in mind that neither OC or CA has to change correct reporting to the CRA's. Remember to be nice, friendly, respectful, and courteous. If at first you do not succeed try try again.

Good Luck

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@JM-AM wrote:

While paying collections is a noble and right thing to do IMO they have no impact on your scores. Charge-offs on the other hand that have been paid usually have a positive affect. 

Since the collections and charge-offs are already paid, you are correct in making an attempt to GW them. Just keep in mind that neither OC or CA has to change correct reporting to the CRA's. Remember to be nice, friendly, respectful, and courteous. If at first you do not succeed try try again.

Good Luck

If the CO is a credit card with a balance then paying it off will likely lower your overall revolving utilization which can help you. But the late payments that probably happened before the CO and the CO itself will remain. Paying off an installment loan that is CO'ed will have no effect on your score.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 7
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@JM-AM wrote:

While paying collections is a noble and right thing to do IMO they have no impact on your scores. Charge-offs on the other hand that have been paid "usually" have a positive affect. 

Good Luck

If the CO is a credit card with a balance then paying it off will likely lower your overall revolving utilization which can help you. But the late payments that probably happened before the CO and the CO itself will remain. Paying off an installment loan that is CO'ed will have no effect on your score.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

+1 for being more specific instead of my lazy way of saying usually. Smiley Very Happy

Good Luck
Message 4 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@JM-AM wrote:

+1 for being more specific instead of my lazy way of saying usually. Smiley Very Happy

I am guilty many times of trying to say something in as few words as possible (probably because I type so poorly) and then realizing what I wrote made no sense what so ever.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 5 of 7
duke198
Established Member

Thanks much for the replies... I have noticed that the paid CO's have not really improved my score, but I imagine that a lender would require those to be satisfied before approving me for a mortgage.

I'm hoping that my actions this month (Nov) will be reported and I'll see a promising bump in my score. If not, there isn't much I can do but allow time and timely payments to fix my situation.

I'd love to get some of the CA's removed, but they are all valid so I can't do much with them.

Thanks again!

Starting Score: EQ-582 TU-602 EXP-?
Current Score: EQ-607 TU-632 EXP-669 Lender Pull 2/3/11
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

You can try and GW every single one of them. You have absolutely nothing to lose. 

Good Luck

Good Luck
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.