Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on paying medical collection and removal from credit statement

tag
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Advice on paying medical collection and removal from credit statement

check your ins eob....make sure they are charging u the contracted amt...and, and, and...make sure they filed with the ins. co. within the alloted time frame.
My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 11 of 18
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if insurance can be billed, if not then
2. see if you qualify for Charity Care, if not then
3.  ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
4. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
5. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

gdale -

Does getting OC to recall a collection result in removal of the collection or just a Zero Balance?  I have assumed that the Collection would still report as a collection even if the debt is recalled by OC and you PIF.  Am I wrong?

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the suggestion. Could you please explain your 5th point in detail? I did google HIPAA process. It says that you can file a complaint based on three criteria:

1. Violation of Civit Rights (Based on Race, Color, National Origin, Disability, Age, or Sex)

2. Violation of Conscience or Religious Freedom

3. Violation of Privacy or Security of Health Information (HIPAA)

I was wondering under which criteria my case fits. Although, when I called the CA I told them that I was the coinsurer on my ex-husband's insurance and was his legal dependant with no income of my own. Still they said that as the expense was in my name I am the one who is responsible for it. I also told them that I did not know about this collection till I saw my credit report and want to settle this if they could remove it from the credit report. In response they told me that they will not withdraw it but can only inform the CA that it has been paid in full.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion. Could you please explain your 5th point in detail? I did google HIPAA process. It says that you can file a complaint based on three criteria:

1. Violation of Civit Rights (Based on Race, Color, National Origin, Disability, Age, or Sex)

2. Violation of Conscience or Religious Freedom

3. Violation of Privacy or Security of Health Information (HIPAA)

I was wondering under which criteria my case fits. Although, when I called the CA I told them that I was the coinsurer on my ex-husband's insurance and was his legal dependant with no income of my own. Still they said that as the expense was in my name I am the one who is responsible for it. I also told them that I did not know about this collection till I saw my credit report and want to settle this if they could remove it from the credit report. In response they told me that they will not withdraw it but can only inform the CA that it has been paid in full.

Just sent you PM re: #5

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called the OC (Medstar Washington Hospital Centre) and asked them about the option of PIF for a recall from the Collection Agency (Transworld). They said that they will inform the collection agency that the account has been paid in full but it will not go off my credit report. Even if I pay it in full my credit score will not improve. What do I do to delete it from my credit report?

Message 16 of 18
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

gdale -

Does getting OC to recall a collection result in removal of the collection or just a Zero Balance?  I have assumed that the Collection would still report as a collection even if the debt is recalled by OC and you PIF.  Am I wrong?

Per CRA rules if a collector doesnt have collection authority they must remove it, an OC recalling a collector cancels that authorization to collect.

Message 17 of 18
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I called the OC (Medstar Washington Hospital Centre) and asked them about the option of PIF for a recall from the Collection Agency (Transworld). They said that they will inform the collection agency that the account has been paid in full but it will not go off my credit report. Even if I pay it in full my credit score will not improve. What do I do to delete it from my credit report?

Your only option to remove the CA now is the HIPAA Process and we cannot discuss that on these boards. You need to contact Whychat for help on it.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.