Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on raising my score

tag
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice on raising my score

The only way to get the amount ordred to pay a month or bi weekly however you pay is if your income from the time it was ordered has reduced greatly.  In some cases I have seen it reduced due to an addition (newborn).

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 11 of 18
Pineknot69
Regular Contributor

Well I am using Lexington Law because I am unable to follow up with so many creditors due to my disabilites which affect my ability to focus and organize enough to appropriately communicate with all of them. When you are on 17 different medications you get a little sleepy and confused. They have already removed 11 items since I hired them in September. I guess you are saying to focus on child support first? Thank you for responding. My son will be 18 and he has already graduated high school So after January I will stop accruing more debt with csea.. I realize my financially supporting my son does not count as far as child support is concerned but the reality is he still needs things and even when I was not in arrears his father did not pay for his clothes, school fees etc. I know it doesn't make sense to most people but it is my reality.

Message 12 of 18
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Are you still using lexington law?  I would focus on the arrearage first just based on my own experience having perfect credit with arrearage showing haunted me the most when applying for credit.  In my own experience medical bills were also the easiest to get removed.  Most CA's refused a PFD but it was those same CA's who ageed to a GW deletion after payment in full.

One thing to remember there is no ASAP to raising your score.  If you want to be in a much better spot I suggest having 3 accounts of revolving credit and start with your negative accounts and in a year from now you will be in a much better position

Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

Message 13 of 18
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Also where did you get that score from?  There are 3 fico scores that only matter from transunion equifax and exerian and you can purchase those here.  If its not a fico score it doesnt matter.  Having a balance of 300 dollars on a 350 limit card will certainly impact your score.  For max scoring I would let a less than 10% util report see where that puts you.

Message 14 of 18
Pineknot69
Regular Contributor

Thank you again I appreciate the feedback. I am planning to take care of the csea 2400.00 in january. My fico score is 582 according to this site. I will pay down the credit card in December. I hope this will help get started in the right direction. Just want to do everything I can to raise it any way I can. I am still using Lexington Law too.

Message 15 of 18
12njoy
Super Contributor

OP,

As one of the other poster's noted, your child support obligation can't be offset by what your ex owes you.  However, if I were you, I would file a contempt motion in court (Domestic Relations or whatever court handled divorce) because your ex hasn't paid half of the medical bills and/or the $7,000.  If you are able to collect on any of that money, you could use that to pay down your child support arrearage or other debt. 

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 16 of 18
Pineknot69
Regular Contributor

12njoy thank you, I am going to send him the bills first (certified mail) to prove he has them, then I have to wait a bit to see if he will pay (he won't) then file a motion for contempt. Problem with this is I have problems getting to Ohio as I am unable to drive (seizures) to get to court. I want to see if I can file pro se since it's fairly straight forward....he either shows the court he has paid or he doesn't. I have filed the motions before so that's not a problem but getting to Ohio is. I wonder if the court could make an accomodation for me and allow me to "appear" via phone or skype. My ex has a cash business and his income is unknown. I know from past experience that only threat of jail will inspire him to comply and then only for a short time after which I would be forced to repeat the motion. He has no assets other than a car and his business equipment as far as I know. Thank you for your advice.

Message 17 of 18
12njoy
Super Contributor

@ Pineknot69,

I'm in Ohio.  Ohio courts generally allow motions to be filed electronically.  The only issue then would be the filing fee which I believe is $150 for a contempt motion.  Oh sorry I was thinking of Juvenile Court.  You would probably be in Domestic Relations since you were married.  You're right with sending the bills certified to show proof because it is required.  If your ex has a cash business and income is ukknown, you'll basically need an attorney to do a forensic financial audit on the ex through the court process.  I understand that an attorney may not be possible due to your financial situation.  However, i would call legal aid to see if you meet their income requirements for free representation.  If not, legal aid has referrals for other attorneys who work on a sliding fee scale.  If you can get one of these attorneys, you wouldn't have to come here to Ohio.  The attorney could do all the necessary court appearances and motions.  It's worth a shot to see if you're eligible.  The good or bad thinig about Ohio contempts, depending upon how you look at it, the first one warrants 30 days, the second one 60 days and the third warrants 90 days.  Because they are civil contempts, the person can only be held usually until they comply with the court's order.  Now another option that you could ask the court to do is require that your ex reimburse you for the costs of your action and/or legal fees which will basically depend upon whether your action is successful.  I would seriously look into it. Good luck.  

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.