cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on utility collections

tag
bm12484

Advice on utility collections

For the past 3 plus years I have working on rebuilding my credit from below 600 to the 740 score I have now. This past weekend I received a Fico credit alert notice about a collection account with Experian. My heart sank because I knew there was NO way this was possible.

I was shocked to find a utility account I had from a year and a half ago with a balance of $200 had gone into collections. I never received any notice from the utility company after moving, no phone calls, nothing. Perhaps they sent a bill to the apartment when I moved and it was never forwarded but had I received a call I would have taken care of it right away. My score plummeted 100 points because of this.

I contacted ConEdison right away and was able to pay the balance through them but now am receiving a notice that Equifax and TransUnion are reporting the collection as well. What is the right way to take care of this? I'm hoping that because I satisfied the balance with the original creditor this will be resolved in next month's reporting but things are never this easy. It seems like I shouldn't speak to the collection agency yet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on utility collections

You can ask ConEdison to recall the collection and cite how there was a misunderstanding and that you never received the bill or any kind of notice that there was an issue with the account. If they do not comply, then you can request file a dispute on the ground that no notice was sent prior to, or immediately after the collection hitting your report.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.