Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on where and how to start

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on where and how to start

I was injured on a job and tanked my credit. I would like to begin cleaning up my mess and moving towards good credit again. 

My current scores are

Trans 620

Equi 635

The good: 

I have a small credit builder loan through my credit union. It was opened in November of this year for 5,000

I am an authorized user on two credit cards with 30 months of perfect payment history. 

I have a good income and a great household income. We are wanting to buy a house in the next year and don't really need my credit to make the purchase but, it would probably help. 

The bad:

I have a charge off on three credit cards, a bank loan and an automotive loan.

They are Cap 1, Discovery and Barclays  for CC, Chase for the automotive loan and  A local credit union on the small loan. 

I have the cash on hand to pay off everything which is about 40k. Is paying off the charge offs first thing the best initial step? What are my best options for moving forward?

Thanks

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Advice on where and how to start

Yes, paying off all your charge offs would be a great first step. Then you could attempt to write goodwill letters to all those creditors (once they get the money and the payoffs are reflected on your credit reports) and ask that they remove the accounts from your reports altogether. It's highly unlikely they'll do so, but it's worth a try.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodwill letter over a pay for deletion deal? 

I am dealing with Midland Management,  Portfolio Recovery and RMP. 

Message 3 of 18
HowDoesThisAllWork
Frequent Contributor

Quick question for clarification:

Those two scores - by chance that they are from Credit Karma?

When people mention both Transunion and Equifax (and not Experian) that smells suspiciously like a Credit Karma (or similar) origin.

If this is true, then please note that the two scores are *NOT* FICO scores but Vantage Score 3.0 (which no one really uses). Additionally, these scores are very likely to be higher than FICO scores.

Not trying to be a turd, but it is an important distinction.

FICO 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Bankcard 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Mortgage 2/4/5 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

Starting Score: Exp 627
Current Score: Exp 713
Goal Score: Exp 750+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I should have clarified that. They are in fact Credit Karma scores.

When I went to my credit union to take out a small loan they showed me the score they used and it was closer to 500 if I remember correctly.   I had/have a decent amount in the bank so they had no issue with a small 5k loan but, they said I wouldn't be eligible for a credit card or a mortgage. 

Message 5 of 18
HowDoesThisAllWork
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Goodwill letter over a pay for deletion deal? 

I am dealing with Midland Management,  Portfolio Recovery and RMP. 

Yes, that is what Omar is suggesting.  Contact each of the Collection Agencies and discuss a so-called PfD (aka, Pay for Delete).  Just be 100% ready and capable of following through on your agreements.

Additionally, there might be some requirements BEFORE a CA will be willing to discuss a PfD (one such common requirement - and I use that word loosely - is that an account be at least two years old).

For a list of Collection Agencies that are open to a PfD, please consider the below link:

Collection Agencies that do Paid for Delete 

Removing ALL of your collections accounts from all of the CRAs on which they appear will have a HUGE positive effect.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying off my debt was my initial plan. After the debt is paid which could be as early as tomorrow what is the next step?

My goals are mortgage and a premium travel rewards card. I travel a decent amount and i have alot of points that would be decently impressive with a good rewards card. I'm over 500k IHG points and idk how many miles. 

Message 7 of 18
HowDoesThisAllWork
Frequent Contributor

Okay...

For some reason my old eyes saw "Collections".  You have Charge Offs.  Different Animal.

So, to be clear (and please forgive me for being "that guy"): all of the accounts that are deliquent - they all show up as Charge - Offs, correct?

Have you looked at your credit report?  It seems pretty clear that you have, but I like to ask (I am not smart enough to assume anything).

And, if you want a FICO score, then I might suggest creating a free account at Experian.  That will show you your credit report and will have EVERYTHING listed (well, to be clear, everything that is reported to Experian.  While it is a safe starting point to assume that all "financial instituations" report to all three Credit Bureaus, it is a dangerous assumption).

If you want to be 100% sure, then I might suggest going to Annual Credit Report (aka, annualcreditreport.com) and getting all three.  Due to COVID-19, we are allowed to get a weekly report from each of the three Bureaus through April, 2022!

So, I would create the free account with Experian for the FICO score and would go to annualcreditreport.com for all three Credit Reports.  That way you are 100% sure that you have the latest and greatest information.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just checked Experian and it's a 555. That's definitely not good. 

I did find some inaccurate information.  Misspelled name, wrong addresses, wrong phone numbers and I'm sure other things. I'll call them tomorrow and see of that stuff can be deleted. 

Message 9 of 18
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Once all the CO's are paid you'll see a score change for the better. They are being used against you for util %'s. CO deletions from GW's wont happen. JMO. Getting things cleaned up and investing all you can to get a home should be priority one. Once it all updates after payoffs. Get your FICO scores from here or credit.com. You'll want to look at your FICO Mortgage scores. Yes a card or 2 in your name will do more than AU's. But on the other hand. Lenders dont care for getting new credit in the 1 yr before applying for a mortgage. Fix whats broken first. Post it here and we can help you reach your home ownership goals. 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.