Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please?

tag
jason7613
Established Member

Advice please?

I am almost 30 and when I was younger I had over a 730 credit score. I went through a lot of financial problems (like everyone at some point) and my score dropped into the mid to high 500's.

I took control and settled and paid all of the charged off accts and everything is better, and have a secured card as well as being an author user on a credit card that has a 10k limit with about 2k bal. I just checked my score and it is 700 which is good however I still have about six accounts that negatively affect my score.

My question is should I bother applying for an unsecured card or give it some more time. It's been about 2years (around) since paying all of the bad accts off, and I was tempted to try for a cap one credit card, however I had two charge offs from them about 3 years ago (about 3k total).

Sorry for the long initial post, however I wanted to get all those little details out for a better answer. Here is what I have outstanding:

10k student loans (never late)
Car lease (never late)
Secured card ($500 limit - the most I charge is about 100 and never late)
Authorized card user 10k bal with 2k limit.

Again sorry for the novel and I appreciate any and all help
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice please?

What are the derogs, and their age/DOFD? If they're CAs, give the OC/DOFD along with the CA names.

*edit: ...and welcome to the forums...lol.Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 30
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@jason7613 wrote:
I am almost 30 and when I was younger I had over a 730 credit score. I went through a lot of financial problems (like everyone at some point) and my score dropped into the mid to high 500's.

I took control and settled and paid all of the charged off accts and everything is better, and have a secured card as well as being an author user on a credit card that has a 10k limit with about 2k bal. I just checked my score and it is 700 which is good however I still have about six accounts that negatively affect my score.

My question is should I bother applying for an unsecured card or give it some more time. It's been about 2years (around) since paying all of the bad accts off, and I was tempted to try for a cap one credit card, however I had two charge offs from them about 3 years ago (about 3k total).

Sorry for the long initial post, however I wanted to get all those little details out for a better answer. Here is what I have outstanding:

10k student loans (never late)
Car lease (never late)
Secured card ($500 limit - the most I charge is about 100 and never late)
Authorized card user 10k bal with 2k limit.

Again sorry for the novel and I appreciate any and all help

Here's some light reading material for you...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Frequently-Requested-Threads/td-p/224981

Message 3 of 30
jason7613
Established Member

All credit cards, one from chase,two from cap one, one from a cu that I am not familiar yet (in fact all payments were on time except one that listed a 90 day??) and I don't have the info in front of me but they are from around 2009
Message 4 of 30
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Have you pulled your credit reports, and checked the DOFD (date of first delinquency-point where you stopped payment, and never recovered, resulting in CO status)?

Also, are any of these COs showing a balance, or are they reporting a zero balance with charge off status?

*edit: my bedtime. Others will jump in. Just hang tight, and be patient. The visitors/contributors come, and go in waves here. Each with our own "schedule."Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 30
jason7613
Established Member

Thanks for all of the quick replies.  I read through those links and just went around reading different things on the forum.  The DOFD is confusing to me, because I have a card that i was late on one time, and then caught up, and then missed some payments which led to a CO.  I am assuming that the DOFD begins on the first missed payment that happened before the CO?  Also one card still has a balance on it, but it was paid so I am assuming the creditor never updated it?  If it helps I can paste the report (obviously omitting certain info).  Again the advice is helpful and appreciated.  

Message 6 of 30
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes, if you bring the account current before it is CO'd or sent to collections, the DoFD will start with your first delinquency that led to the CO or collection.

How long ago did you pay the one that is still reporting a balance?

Feel free to post what you have questions on.

Message 7 of 30
jason7613
Established Member

Can't believe how quick the responses are lol.  Here's an overview of all of the accounts from myfico (Equifax):

Credit CardWescom Cu8/2002$2,457Bad debt/collectionThis account has late payments in the pastDetails ---- Not sure what  this is believe it or not.  Trying to research

Credit CardBk Of Amer1/2006$0Pays account as agreed Details ----CLOSED

Student/Education LoanGsmr-AlpsXXXXXXXXXXX229911/2003$4,060Pays account as agreedDetails

Student/Education LoanGsmr-AlpsXXXXXXXXXXX209910/2001$3,286Pays account as agreed Details

Student/Education LoanGsmr-AlpsXXXXXXXXXXX21992/2003$1,569Pays account as agreed Details

Student/Education LoanFedloanXXXXXXXXXXXX000210/2012$1,144Pays account as agreed Details

Student/Education LoanFedloanXXXXXXXXXXXX000110/2012$0Pays account as agreed Details ---CLOSED

Student/Education LoanUs Dept EdXXXXXX485110/2001$0Pays account as agreedThis account has late payments in the pastDetails ---1 late, trying to get GW

Student/Education LoanUs Dept EdXXXXXXXXXXX318611/2003$0Pays account as agreed Details---CLOSED

Student/Education LoanUs Dept EdXXXXXXXXXXX30862/2003$0Pays account as agreed Details---CLOSED

Student/Education LoanUs Dept EdXXXXXXXXXXX298610/2001$0Pays account as agreed Details---CLOSED

OtherCap One2/2013$2,039Pays account as agreed Details

OtherHsbc Bank3/2009$42Pays account as agreed Details----CLOSED

OtherChase11/2007$0Bad debt/collectionThis account has late payments in the pastDetails --Paid off (Collection)

OtherCap One2/2009$0Bad debt/collectionThis account has late payments in the pastDetails -- Paid off (Collection)

OtherCap One1/2009$0Bad debt/collectionThis account has late payments in the pastDetails -- Paid off (Collection)

OtherBethpagfcuXXXXXX57244/2004$0Pays account as agreed Details --CLOSED

OtherChase4/2004$0Pays account as agreedDetails -- CLOSED

OtherBethpagfcuXXXXXXXX70182/2002$0Pays account as agreed Details --CLOSED

OtherCap One12/2003$0Pays account as agreed Details --CLOSED

Vehicle LoanNiss InfiXXXXXXX01491/2011$2,785Pays account as agreedDetails

Vehicle LoanNiss InfiXXXXXXX63014/2005$0Pays account as agreedThis account has late payments in the pastDetails --1 late due to error, still working with creditor to get fixed

Vehicle LoanNiss InfiXXXXXXX58011/2008$0Pays account as agreedNoDetails --CLOSED

This is just Equifax, as I haven't gone through the other 2 credit agency's yet.  

Message 8 of 30
guiness56
Epic Contributor

That report is not bad at all.  Everything is paid.

For the one you are not aware of, if it is a CA send them a DV letter and ask for validation.

For the paid off collections try sending a GW letter.

The accounts (OC) that have lates on them.  Those lates will be removed 7 years from their date of occurence.  Once the last late comes off the account will again become positive and stay for up to 10 years (+/-) from date closed.

Message 9 of 30
jason7613
Established Member

I am just tempted to try and get an unsecured card, to try and show more avail limit with low bal, however don't know which one to try for.  Cap One I know is one of the more lenient lenders, however because of the CO's (even though they are paid) I don't know if they will take a chance.  

Is it worth trying to get those lates deleted, or should I just wait the year or two for them to get erased?

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.