Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please

tag
T50
Contributor

Advice please

I am trying to find out what I should work on 1st.  I have a few collections that are on my CR, also my credit cards are close to maxed out.  Any advice as to which I should work on 1st to raise my credit score the highest?  I know that if I get my credit cards down to less than 10% of uti that my scores will go up but not sure how much.  I was considering paying down my balances on my credit cards then seeing how much my score jumps.  Then utilizing those credit cards to PFD my collections, then paying them down again.  Any advice??  NEED DIRECTION and ADVICE

Starting Score: 506
Current Score: 565
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Advice please

How recent are the collections?  If they are new they are having a huge impact on your score.

Message 2 of 7
T50
Contributor

Guiness thanks for the reply...  Collections are as follows; 1) opened 12/2008 (credit card CA) 2) opened 3/2008 (public utility) 3) opened 8/2010 (MEDICAL) 4) opened 9/2010 (MEDICAL) 5) opened 10/2009 (MEDICAL) 6) opened 6/2009 (MEDICAL) 7) opened 7/2009 (MEDICAL) 8) opened 5/2009 (utility).  Please let me know if you have any advice....

Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Who is reporting, the OC, CA or both?

Do you know the exact DoFD of the accounts and your states SOL?

Sorry, I should have asked you these questions before.  The information is important to know exactly what you should or should not do.

Message 4 of 7
T50
Contributor

Guiness, as far as I can tell I believe it is just the CA reporting this information.  I do not see the OC reporting, and as a matter of fact I am going to have to do some digging to find out even who the OC is on some of these medical collections.  I don't know the DOFD, and SOL I think is 6 yrs (but not really sure).  If anyone has any info on the SOL I live in Ohio. 

Message 5 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Ohio has one of the cruelest SOLs.  15 years for written and promissory.

If at all possible, try to find the OC.  Call them and ask if you PIF will they pull back the account from collections.

If they have sold the debt, and you can PIF, send the CA a DV letter.  If they validate, send a PFD.

Message 6 of 7
T50
Contributor

I am going to try and locate the OC on my own.  But if I am unsuccessful should I try to DV?  I truly do not know where these medical bills are coming from.  But I don't want to change the dates of them last being reported.  Again, thanks for your replies and any advice that anyone has to offer!!!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.