Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ally Financial suing my mom.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ally Financial suing my mom.

Hello, 

My mom bought a van and gave it to me saying she wanted me to have it.  I immediately told her no I did not want it and couldn't afford it.  She insisted as she had a great job but fast forward a year and she had to retire because of an injury she sustained at work which she is fighting worker's compensation over.  

Due to divorce I filed bk ch7 oct 2019 and it was discharged 1/2020.  I'm rebuilding my credit and she sends me the court notice with 2 days left to answer.  Her retirement is not enough to live on and I believe she can be garnished so I told her I would make payment arrangements for the debt as she was going to just let them give her a judgement.

My question is has anyone had success in Settle for Delete with Ally once they've filed a lawsuit against someone.  My goal is to settle the debt but ask that it be deleted from her credit report.

I should mention I turned the car in around January 2018 when I couldn't keep up the payments and she was out of a job because of her injury.  They filed the case against her March 2020.  I will submit her answer to the lawsuit tomorrow.  I asked her to file bankruptcy because she has other debts in collection and charge off and no way to pay them.  She said she can't or the Uncle Sam can come and get her under something called tolling.  She is in an uncollectible status with them right now.  She got in trouble with them because my dad screwed her over with his taxes for years and she hadn't a clue.  I don't believe they can come back in her if she files bankruptcy but she says they can in light of not having anymore other debt.

These payments or settlement will be a hardship for me so I'm very much in a quandary over it.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ally Financial suing my mom.

If she has no income- she should file BK.  The government can't take what she does not have.  The only time the government comes after you is if you owe federal loans, child support or back taxes and even with the back taxes, you can have those re looked at.  Is she on disability?  If not, she should file for disability and not just wait for workers compensation.  Have her talk to a BK attorney so that she can be better informed.   I think that would be the best route for her.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you and yes hers is back taxes ($50,000) she owes to the IRS.  

She has a small federal gov pension and social security because she is elderly to make up what the pension didn't cover to what she would have received if she only had social security.

I will have a bankruptcy attorney talk with us about it.

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 12
bass_playr
Established Contributor

Also, while I understand your concerns about credit reporting, there are more imporant elements to this situation right now.  I would encourage y'all to focus more on the bigger picture as opposed to the credit reporting.  Sometimes we just have to take the hit because we need to address the $$$ end of the issue.  I know it sucks, and I mean zero disrespect, but at this point, I would not be as concerned about the credit hit.  Just my two cents.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you are correct.  I want a settle for delete to keep her other creditors from trying to sue her as well.  When the first creditor sued me there were like 6 or 7 that jumped on the bandwagon.  I was in court every month until I filed bankruptcy. 

She doesn't have the income for that so I was hoping to get it off her credit instead of a judgement that was paid or a settled account.

Hopefully I conveyed my thoughts more clearly.

i greatly appreciate you al on this forum.  You really take time out of your day to help people and that's priceless.  So thanks again guys and gals!

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE:

I talked to a tax attorney about tolling and he said after my moms bk is discharged, the IRS will send her a letter asking about her income.  She will need to give them her income information and after that they will see she's still uncollectible.  He said they have up to 6 months from the date of discharge to ask for her income information.

I am trying to get her to file bankruptcy at this point as it would be better for both of us.  No other creditors would be able to come after her and I wouldn't have to put myself in a bind to pay monthly or try to settle on a $7,300 debt.

Thanks so much everyone!

Message 6 of 12
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes you are correct.  I want a settle for delete to keep her other creditors from trying to sue her as well.  When the first creditor sued me there were like 6 or 7 that jumped on the bandwagon.  I was in court every month until I filed bankruptcy. 

She doesn't have the income for that so I was hoping to get it off her credit instead of a judgement that was paid or a settled account.

Hopefully I conveyed my thoughts more clearly.

i greatly appreciate you al on this forum.  You really take time out of your day to help people and that's priceless.  So thanks again guys and gals!

I mean this in the nicest way 

What possible reason is there for a creditor to agree to a settle for delete while they are suing you? They have all the leverage right now, I would call it a win if you just get them to agree to a settlement. 

PFD (or settle for delete) almost never happens with a OC, much more common with collection agencies. 

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

So true which is why I reached out to this myFICO community.  

It will be best for her to file bankruptcy now.

Message 8 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Yeah time to hunt down a BK lawyer and be done with it.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, 

My mom bought a van and gave it to me saying she wanted me to have it.  I immediately told her no I did not want it and couldn't afford it.  She insisted as she had a great job but fast forward a year and she had to retire because of an injury she sustained at work which she is fighting worker's compensation over.  

Due to divorce I filed bk ch7 oct 2019 and it was discharged 1/2020.  I'm rebuilding my credit and she sends me the court notice with 2 days left to answer.  Her retirement is not enough to live on and I believe she can be garnished so I told her I would make payment arrangements for the debt as she was going to just let them give her a judgement.

My question is has anyone had success in Settle for Delete with Ally once they've filed a lawsuit against someone.  My goal is to settle the debt but ask that it be deleted from her credit report.

I should mention I turned the car in around January 2018 when I couldn't keep up the payments and she was out of a job because of her injury.  They filed the case against her March 2020.  I will submit her answer to the lawsuit tomorrow.  I asked her to file bankruptcy because she has other debts in collection and charge off and no way to pay them.  She said she can't or the Uncle Sam can come and get her under something called tolling.  She is in an uncollectible status with them right now.  She got in trouble with them because my dad screwed her over with his taxes for years and she hadn't a clue.  I don't believe they can come back in her if she files bankruptcy but she says they can in light of not having anymore other debt.

These payments or settlement will be a hardship for me so I'm very much in a quandary over it.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

I read the other replies in this thread. You don't say what State you or mom are in, but in almost all States, retirement income is exempt from creditors, therefore her creditors cannot garnish either her retirement/disability at its source or when it's in the bank account (generally, as long as the balance in the bank is two months of benefits or less it will be safe). You mention that she has a Government pension and Social Security as her income. Both of them are totally exempt from ordinary creitor attachment, so Ally and the rest can sue her until the cows come home, they still won't collect a dime. The most the IRS can take is 15% of her Social Security but since she is already in CNC they can't even take that. That effectively takes care of all creditors. Dealing with the IRS is a specialty of mine - I have been in the tax business for almost 40 years and I am an IRS licensed Enrolled Agent. Before that I was a Bill Collector.

Your mom sounds like she is a candidate for one of the following:  an Offer in Compromise, Currently Not Collectable (or CNC, called 53-ing after the IRS form a Revenue Officer would file, Form 53) or Innocent Spouse Relief. I suggest you and she do some research into those. Download IRS Form 433-A and fill it out using the IRS Collection Standards to see her collectability. Then I suggest you find an EA near you who knows about OIC's, 53's and Innocent Spouse rules and have a long talk. Tolling means the Collection Statute (also called the CSED, Or Collection Statute Expiration Date) is tolled, or stopped, for the time one is in Bankruptcy plus 6 months. If the CSED is close, then I would probably advise her to do nothing - her ordinary creditors cannot garnish her retirement income and if she is already in CNC then the IRS won't. What most people don't realize, is that unlike other liens, Federal Tax Liens have an expiration date. It is 10 years and one day from the Assessment Date (both dates will be found on the Notice of Federal Tax Lien filed with your County Recorder).

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.