Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternate to navy, penfed, usaa for CU?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alternate to navy, penfed, usaa for CU?

In process of rebuilding and think I'm ready for higher cards. I'm looking for a credit union easy to join and offers decent lines. Anyone have any thoughts?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Alternate to navy, penfed, usaa for CU?

@Anonymous wrote:
In process of rebuilding and think I'm ready for higher cards. I'm looking for a credit union easy to join and offers decent lines. Anyone have any thoughts?

Why not PenFed? (Unlike Navy, it is quite easy to get into with no military affiliation if that's your issue.)

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had penfed several years ago, had a checking and cards with them, in 2006 had to file bankruptcy due to breaking my back and medical bills, anyway called penfed last week said I can reopen account, but need to pay the checking charge off. I have no problem doing that, I just did same with navy. Navy will only give me a checking and savings, nothing else, blacklisted till further notice. I don't want to have same experience with penfed. So I figure once I'm fully reestablished I will work on penfed. So in short that's why. BTW thanx for fast reply.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is a post that lists many credit unions and information others have shared. Listing data points will allow others to give better advice as to which credit unions might be a good fit for you. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Official-Credit-Unions-Guide/m-p/4768788#M1...
Message 4 of 8
sueblue34
Frequent Contributor

It's easy to get an account with PENFED but from reading other posts, they are conservative lenders so you need to have a good score as well
Message 5 of 8
rprisco
Regular Contributor

I would love nothing more than to get back in with Penfed and NAVY, I wont use the NAVY Account because they wont give me credit, I will investigate further if Penfed will blacklist me once if I pay the charged off checking.  They want me to send in Notarized license, social security card and utility bill and then they will supposedly set up an account for me to transfer in only until the charge off is paid.  I'd hate to pay a bankrupted debt if I am on an eternal blacklist.  Im thinking of giving Alliant a try in the mean time... Idk. 

I bought some land with a seller held mortgage in April for 27k, I took the personal loan for the downpayment, paying 6% interest and have an 18k balloon May 2019, since its too low for mortgage, I'd balance transfer or personal loan to pay it off, since I have time, I want to get the credit the best it can be.  Also since I am in New York, once I pay all the charge off and collection, they have to come off in  5 years from DOFD, so I will be paying to get them off by 2019 verses 2021.  The BK will be off in December, bottom line to all my rambling, I think I am ready after a few months of seasoning and research to make plunge for higher limits, while others grow.  Found out about robolady CLI increases, so hoping to bump the retail cards up high, hoping the visas will follow....

Im open to feedback, btw, before anyone sayes I screwed up after BK, I filed BK cause I broke my back and flat broke with huge medical bills, 2013 required more unexpected surgery back out of work paid all medical bills but not enough income for credit cards and such, total unpaid accounts about $2600; Aug 15, fully recovered, great income and ready to try again. 

Current Scores as of 8/18/17 all FICO 8 EQ: 695 EX: 673 *fico2 699 TU:645 bio has more.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rprisco, @Anonymous Please check your private messages.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Penfed allows cosigners for everything, not just car loans. If your family trusts you, you can get a useable product quicker.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.