cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I getting a good deal with chase for settlement

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
New Visitor

Am I getting a good deal with chase for settlement

Hi, I havent been paying my chase credit card since two year already. For a little more than a year I was jobless. Six months ago I recently found work working minumin wage in NYC at $15 an hour.

Chase last week sent me a letter saying the following

"We want to work with you to settle your charged-off credit card account. You can save $1,500."

"Your Current account balance is $1,900, but we will accept $400 to settle the account and stop further collection activities.

My options was to make one payment of $400 or two payment each month for $200.

Is this a good deal. I will be making less than $15,000 by the end of the year. So i assume something will go to irs and will either place me in the same tax bracket or higher.

Will it some how also affect my credit score which is already horrbile at 560.I am trying to figure out if I will be able to open a card in the future more sooner than latter to rebuild.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Regular Contributor

Re: Am I getting a good deal with chase for settlement

$400 settlement in my opinion is more than fair. You would end up with them sending something to the IRS (1099-C is supposed to be filed for forgiven debt over $600).

Depending on your income and overall debt you may be able to exclude all or a portion of the 1099-C income (talk to your tax person before accepting any offers so you have a better idea of possible liabilities).
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Score 10/2018: EQ:669, EX:686, TU:668
Score 11/17/2018: EQ:682, EX:681, TU:683
Current Score 7/7/2019: EQ:705, EX:672, TU:694
12/24/2018 -- EQ Beacon 5.0: 678, EX Fico II: 690, TU Fico Classic 04: 716

Goal Score: 740+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Chevron $1250Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $5500Conoco $2500ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500CareCredit $15000Napa EasyPay (Car Credit) $5000Playstation Visa (Capital One) $750QuickSilver One $2200Sony Financial $2000Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Message 2 of 5
Senior Contributor

Jump on it so it quits updating, no court dates, can start aging, and worry about the IRS later. You can file the 1099c at the same time you file your imcome taxes.

My posts are JMHO. I DO NOT claim to be a FICO expert. Just sharing my experiences from rebuild to recovery after BK DC. My siggy is not to brag at all. Just to show fellow members what can be accomplished when you do it right and play the FICO Credit Game.
Message 3 of 5
Established Member

Go ahead and do it.  This is a really deep discount, and I wouldn't imagine that holding out for a better deal would really benefit you that much - better to ahead and get it over with, take the hit, and start rebuilding your score.  It will show as a settlement, so your score might dip briefly, but it will over and gone and won't come back.

If you were to engage a debt settlement agency they would settle your debts for around 50% and add in another 20%-25% as their cut for managing it all.  Or at least that is for bigger debts that take longer to pay off.  So it is good that you are working directly with the OC.

Message 4 of 5
Regular Contributor

@Dougmaster wrote:

Hi, I havent been paying my chase credit card since two year already. For a little more than a year I was jobless. Six months ago I recently found work working minumin wage in NYC at $15 an hour.

Chase last week sent me a letter saying the following

"We want to work with you to settle your charged-off credit card account. You can save $1,500."

"Your Current account balance is $1,900, but we will accept $400 to settle the account and stop further collection activities.

My options was to make one payment of $400 or two payment each month for $200.

Is this a good deal. I will be making less than $15,000 by the end of the year. So i assume something will go to irs and will either place me in the same tax bracket or higher.

Will it some how also affect my credit score which is already horrbile at 560.I am trying to figure out if I will be able to open a card in the future more sooner than latter to rebuild.

$400 on a smaller balance like this is a pretty good deal. I don't think you will see one lower. As for the 1099-C, you will likely not have to pay anything because the IRS allows people to avoid paying taxes on cancelled debt if you are techincally insolvent. Essentially, you have more debt than you do assets (cash, houses, cars, bonds, etc). Most people settling debt are broke, so most people don't have to pay. If you need more infomation, google the IRS 1099-C insolvency worksheet.

Discover It $2k // Target Red Card - $700 // Synchrony Home - $2,500 // Merrick $700 // Legacy Visa $750
TU FICO: 637 (2 derogs remaining) EX FICO: 620 (6 derogs remaining) EQ FICO: 603 (6 derogs remaining)
The FCRA and FDCPA are laws, whether the creditors and debt collectors like it or not. Inaccurate information is ILLEGAL and banks ARE NOT REQUIRED to report anything (unless it's a correction to INACCURATE information).
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.