Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Store APPROVAL!

tag
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Amazon Store APPROVAL!

After being denied for an Amazon store card this time last year I tried last night and got an instant approval for $1100. Very pleased as I shop at Amazon a lot and I've heard the CLI's are generous.

I've been rebuilding my credit for the past couple of years and made a concerted effort in the past 2 months to finally sort things and had an old collection removed as well as some old Capital One lates (30, 60 & 90 day lates). In April this year I got the Apple Barclaycard with an initial $1200 limit which received an auto CLI at 6 months to $2200. I still have an old charged off Bank of America card with about $320 outstanding that I cannot get rid of, they have been conducting an investigation into the account for 2 months now with no results... yet.

The strange thing is, the one card I really want is a Citi AAdvantage as a fly a lot and would like to collect miles. After always getting the pre-selected notices for it in the mail and plenty of softs from Citi, I applied for one, without using the code on one of the letters (as I'd thrown them all). I asked to be notified of the decision via email. It said it needed more time, I called up straight away and it said it had not been approved. The strange thing is, I never received an email (or mail) with a decision and I didn't get any hard inquiries on any of the agencies??

I'd really appreciate help with which way to go with my credit now. I have 2 years of perfect payment history on everything, including my first auto loan. I just finished shopping around for a new auto loan this week, so I have a lot of recent inquries but all relating to the auto loan (and the Amazon TU pull). I got pre-approved with Capital One at 12.9% up to $25k, my credit union at 5.9% up to $40k and ended up financing in house with VW with zero down at 4.72% (certified-used vehicle).

So I have the new auto loan, which isn't reporting yet. I have Barclays ($2200) Cap One ($750 & $300) Amazon ($1100 but not reporting yet) and a visa from my credit union ($1000). My actual TU score was 644 at the credit union 2 weeks ago, and then 664 at VW 3 days ago (I think because my utl. was at 0% but a balance reported on one card before the VW TU pull and utl. rose to 15%).

Where should I go from here? I will continue to work on removing the old discharged BoA card but I really want to get that Citi AAdvantage.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amazon Store APPROVAL!

What's your goal?

Message 2 of 9
CreditJim
Established Contributor

My immediate goal is to get one of the Citi AA credit cards. I travel a lot for work and have a BoA work credit card with a $10k limit that although it does not report to my credit, I have to claim the expenses back and pay the bill every month. I often run over $10k per month through it paying the balance weekly when I am re-imbursed for the expenses. I'd much rather be running it all through my own AA credit card and claiming all those miles. Longer term goal is a mortgage, in 1+ year time.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 3 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I would review each soft on your credit report to see if maybe Citi pulled via there at the same time as your app. Absent any inquiries, I'd probaby wait for another pre-selected or pre-approval notice before applying again. If after 6 or so months there's no notice, then I'd try applying off their site and use the time to let the Amazon age.

Message 4 of 9
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congrats on your approval

Message 5 of 9
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Thanks guys. Also, I have 2 Cap One cards, one opened in 2008 (which is my oldest account) which has always had a crappy $300 limit, and one opened this year that was credit steps (started at $500, now at $750 and unlikely to rise any more from what I've read on here). Would it IMPROVE the AAoA if I closed the Cap one that I opened this year? As it's not really needed now Barclays has given me a much higher limit. Or has anybody ever had any success rolling the CL from one Cap One card into another Cap One card opened earlier?

Message 6 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@breedo wrote:

Would it IMPROVE the AAoA if I closed the Cap one that I opened this year? 

AAoA, per FICO, includes ALL OC accounts whether opened or closed, good or bad. So closing it won't impact AAoA.

Message 7 of 9
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Oh I see. Thanks. I guess time to just shred the Capital One cards and forget about them. I think if/once I can finally sort out the BoA credit card, I'll re-apply for the Citi in about 6 months, with no more apps until then.

Message 8 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@breedo wrote:

Oh I see. Thanks. I guess time to just shred the Capital One cards and forget about them. I think if/once I can finally sort out the BoA credit card, I'll re-apply for the Citi in about 6 months, with no more apps until then.

I wouldn't, any annual fee aside. I'd just use them every 3-4-5 months just to keep some activity on them like buying a cup of coffee or pack of gum, and then I'd PIF to be used again down the road. Or put a utility bill on them and shred the card.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.