Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Denied Me As "Authorized User"

tag
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: American Express Denied Me As "Authorized User"

@vV35Hszm wrote:
No - that’s not how it works. The cardholder is responsible for the charges of their authorized users. Save the morality stuff for church... this is simple liability. The account holders limit was established with their ability to pay in mind. Who makes the charges is irrelevant to the account holders ability to pay.

OP, I am NEVER one to be argumentative and I don't want my "tone" of text to read that way now..

You have been given numerous very reasonable & honest answers but you have rejected them all.

If you already have reasons in mind or just feel this is totally unreasonable of AMEX than there is NO answer anyone can give you that will be good enough to change your mind.

I'm sorry they denied you- but again, once AMEX blacklists your ss# that is it.

Message 21 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@vV35Hszm wrote:
No - that’s not how it works. The cardholder is responsible for the charges of their authorized users. Save the morality stuff for church... this is simple liability. The account holders limit was established with their ability to pay in mind. Who makes the charges is irrelevant to the account holders ability to pay.

I'm sure if you tell them that they don't know how to run their business that they'll change their policy and make you an AU. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Message 22 of 44
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

@vV35Hszm wrote:

OP, I am NEVER one to be argumentative and I don't want my "tone" of text to read that way now..

You have been given numerous very reasonable & honest answers but you have rejected them all.

If you already have reasons in mind or just feel this is totally unreasonable of AMEX than there is NO answer anyone can give you that will be good enough to change your mind.

I'm sorry they denied you- but again, once AMEX blacklists your ss# that is it.

THANK YOU. OP has been given many informative answers and just doesn't want to accept those answers.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 23 of 44
vV35Hszm
Contributor

@Pikaboo-icu

To be clear to those providing an "answer"...  there was no question asked.

Anyway, thank you for your oppinions none the less.

Message 24 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@vV35Hszm wrote:

My mom added me as an authorized user on her Amex.  I got the card in the mail, tried to activate it, and found out they canceled it because I had a charge off about 6 years ago.

A couple of things about this surprised me... if someone else is responsible why on earth would they care?  They have nothing to lose and everything to gain with more authorized users.  Also, why not make the decision BEFORE they send the card?  Just seems all around dumb.

Actually, yes. A couple questions were asked, and answered.

Message 25 of 44
vV35Hszm
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@vV35Hszm wrote:

My mom added me as an authorized user on her Amex.  I got the card in the mail, tried to activate it, and found out they canceled it because I had a charge off about 6 years ago.

A couple of things about this surprised me... if someone else is responsible why on earth would they care?  They have nothing to lose and everything to gain with more authorized users.  Also, why not make the decision BEFORE they send the card?  Just seems all around dumb.

Actually, yes. A couple questions were asked, and answered.

Rhetorical questions ironically not even addressed ("Also, why not make the decision BEFORE they send the card? ")

So weirdly now the new account that was canceled is showing up on my bureau which is again stupid of American Express.  They seem to have their approval process backward... open the account send the card report it to the bureaus and THEN cancel it?  Good grief.

And in another twist, my mom was annoyed it got canceled and added me again so it looks like the whole process begins again.

Message 26 of 44
joltdude
Senior Contributor

And they will likely reject it again.. You might want to try to call them and offer to pay off your debt if you want a card...

Message 27 of 44
vV35Hszm
Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

And they will likely reject it again.. You might want to try to call them and offer to pay off your debt if you want a card...

The second time was a charm... I guess it goes to a different person each time for approval?  I now have a brand new Amex on my bureau with a $4700 limit lowering my total utilization to 3%!  We'll see if it sticks...

Message 28 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the new card!
Message 29 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I added my husband as an authorized user and guess what? The American Express acct is now on his credit report as well. So it seems that even authorized users are held liable for the acct. Good luck

Message 30 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.