Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express - What should I do

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express - What should I do

20 years ago, I defaulted on my Americna Express account and I never paid it.  I moved from my address, and I never heared from them or from their collectors.  My credit score suffered and I could not get any credit for a long time.

Few years ago, I started rebuilding my credit score, and American Express just contacted me to get a new charge card from them.

Should I get the card?  Can they ask me for the old debt?  Can they simply add the old debt to my new card?

any expert advice is most apprecaited

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express - What should I do

That debt sounds to be beyond the statute of limitations and Amex’s “blacklist” period. Go for it!
Message 2 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymouswrote:

20 years ago, I defaulted on my Americna Express account and I never paid it.  I moved from my address, and I never heared from them or from their collectors.  My credit score suffered and I could not get any credit for a long time.

Few years ago, I started rebuilding my credit score, and American Express just contacted me to get a new charge card from them.

Should I get the card?  Can they ask me for the old debt?  Can they simply add the old debt to my new card?

any expert advice is most apprecaited

They can ask that you pay it but its past SOL so they cant sue you for it and no it cannot just be added to your new card. Up to you if you want to try for the new card. If the debt was less than 10K then you have a good chance of being approved.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your answer.  I was reading online that if I pay the old card debt "it is tiny", they would reinstate my old card and I would have years of good credit; is this true?  If true, do you think it is worth doing?

thank you so much for your feedback

J

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.