cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Charge Off - Question on best approach to pay balance due

tag
JJ64

Amex Charge Off - Question on best approach to pay balance due

Hi - I have two Amex charge-offs I am going to pay in full.  I would like to maximize my chance of getting an AMEX card again at some point.  My understanding was that AMEX doesn't sell their debt to an outside agency, but both have been placed for collection.  I have heard of Amex pulling debt back for others who want to pay their charge offs.  When I phone AMEX they just point me to the outside agency as the owner of the debt.  Should I pay through the outside agency holding the debt or should I write and mail checks to the address on the statement AMEX gave me when the accounts were originally charged off?  Will both work?  

11 REPLIES 11
jcooks
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Charge Off - Question on best approach to pay balance due

If Amex is telling you that an outside company is the owner of the debt, they may have sold your debt to them. 

Message 2 of 12
JJ64

Thanks - I understand that - however every resource I have read indicated that Amex uses outside collection agencies but never sells the debt...

Message 3 of 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@JJ64 wrote:

Thanks - I understand that - however every resource I have read indicated that Amex uses outside collection agencies but never sells the debt...

They may or may not have sold the debt (probably not; they're just using incorrect wording), but regardless, you're going to have to negotiate with the CA it looks like. I have no idea if sending checks to the normal payment address would work. I wouldn't risk it personally. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 12
bigseegar
Established Contributor

@JJ64 wrote:

Hi - I have two Amex charge-offs I am going to pay in full.  I would like to maximize my chance of getting an AMEX card again at some point.  My understanding was that AMEX doesn't sell their debt to an outside agency, but both have been placed for collection.  I have heard of Amex pulling debt back for others who want to pay their charge offs.  When I phone AMEX they just point me to the outside agency as the owner of the debt.  Should I pay through the outside agency holding the debt or should I write and mail checks to the address on the statement AMEX gave me when the accounts were originally charged off?  Will both work?  

No, you won't work with AX, you'll have to go through their Collector like they told you. That was correct information. You are also correct in that AX never "sells" their debt but they do in fact use outside Debt Collection Agencies to collect it for them. That's because AX does not have an internal Collections Dept. Also a word of advice as you say one day you want back in with AX. If that is the case Do NOT settle for any less than is owed. Completely PIF otherwise AX will never let you back in. PIF and years down the road they will let you back. Maybe even sooner with one of their programs. But without that it takes years for them to forgive.

Message 5 of 12
JJ64

Regardless of which entity I pay, PIF is definitely the plan.

Message 6 of 12
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

It is advisable to pay the debt in full either to amex directly or CA Amex is using to collect the debt, When you pay the debt in full ask them if they can restore your account. Some times they do that but may be with lower limits. Other option is they might give you an Optima card with low limit and after having that card in good standing for 12 weeks they will let you apply for other Amex cards. You might want to search this forum for Amex Optima and you might find some information on it. All the best.

Message 7 of 12
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

Hello. I just finished a debt settlement program, and Amex was my biggest creditor. We settled my accounts with them last. My lawyers had to settle with the lawyers that Amex assigned. Since we settled for less than full, Amex would only accept a lump sum payment for each account. When I logged into my account, the payments had posted. Each card stated that " This account has been settled and no further payment is required." I also received settlement letters that stated as such. 

I am currently working on my credit as I want to get an Amex again. I have applied twice and been declined, but each time they did hard inquiries which is good, because it means that I am not blacklisted. Also, the rejection letter does not mention my past accounts at all, unlike Discover. Discover had definitely blacklisted me, as they do not do a hard inquiry, and they do mention my account with them in their reasons for denial, even though the card was settled quite awhile ago. 

Hope this helps. Good luck in paying off your debt.

Message 8 of 12
JJ64

So here is the resolution - I decided to just pay Amex directly.  I printed copies of my most recent statements (2 years old) from my online account access and sent in checks for the full amount due - one for each account long with a polite letter with a few details on my personal situation.  The payments were credited the same day tracking shows the letter was received by Amex and both accounts now show a zero balance.

Message 9 of 12
Emoneymayne
Established Member

@JJ64 Did they ever remove the accounts after payment or just zeroed it out?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.