Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Charge Off paid... but not really

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Charge Off paid... but not really

So I owe AMEX $2400 on a gold card from back in 2016. In trying to figure out how to get my card and account back I ran into some questions I have about this process. First AMEX has not once attempted to contact or collect anything from me on this account and on my credit report it says PAID charged off. Is this normal? Id love to get my card back but I'm wondering if this is one of those situations where paying it off in full or even just contacting them will seriously damage my credit, the weird part is why does it say my account is paid and not reporting negatively on my credit when I haven't actually paid them.
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Charge Off paid... but not really

That certainly seems like a weird situation. I can't imagine that Amex just doesn't know about it because as a general rule creditors are gonna be aware of a missing $2400. It might be possible that they just wrote it off, but it's strange that they didn't take any adverse action against you. If you really want to get your account back up and running, really your only hope is to call customer service, but that is gonna open up a can of worms for you imo. If you have the 2400 to pay them you might be able to get away with it!

Message 2 of 8
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

OP,

Have you tried to see if you can access your account online? I’d not try that and it may provide some info; might also allow you to see if you’re ore approved for cards and if so that would be an indicator if you’re blacklisted or not according to other posters on this site.

Good luck

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I can access my account and everything is there and It says the account is cancelled. I didn't have any offers but I tried to apply for the green card last night and was instantly denied
Message 4 of 8
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

@Silverdogg,

Then based on what others have posted I think that instant denial could mean you’re in their ‘blacklist’!

Sounds like the reporting of your account is some sort of glitch, albeit a positive one, for it to reflect the status. As another poster indicated, I wouldn’t contact them until you’re 100%ready to pay in full. When u do so, ask if they can reopen the original account with same account number if possible and ‘member since’ date. If I were u I wouldn’t reference how the account is reporting unless they ask.

Let us k ow how it turns out. Good luck

Message 5 of 8
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

@silverdogg,

One other thing, did you see if the online access would allow u to make payments? If so, when ready, I’d make your payment online then call them advising you made the payment and ask about regaining membership. There are many ways to ‘skin this cat’ w/AMEX so search this site for some of the more successful routes.

Message 6 of 8
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

Can you show us a photo of how you're seeing it on your report? Obviously, please redact any confidential info.

Message 7 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So I owe AMEX $2400 on a gold card from back in 2016. In trying to figure out how to get my card and account back I ran into some questions I have about this process. First AMEX has not once attempted to contact or collect anything from me on this account and on my credit report it says PAID charged off. Is this normal? Id love to get my card back but I'm wondering if this is one of those situations where paying it off in full or even just contacting them will seriously damage my credit, (charge off damges already) the weird part is why does it say my account is paid and not reporting negatively on my credit when I haven't actually paid them.

It has to be hitting your scores with Charge Off listed. If you want to get back in with AMEX. You have to pay what you owe and they might let you back in with the Oasis/Optima card for a second chance. Does the $2400 charged off balance list on your credit reports?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.