Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex reported $8 balance late. Thought it was paid

tag
economan
Established Member

Amex reported $8 balance late. Thought it was paid

As title says I thought I had paid the $8 balance. Just got a notice that credit score fell from 800 to 655. Is there anything I can do to fix this oversight?
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Amex reported $8 balance late. Thought it was paid

Goodwill call is best chance.

Message 2 of 15
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

JMHO, but for $8....I think it's ridiculous, but it is what it is.  I would write them a goodwill letter, plead my case and keep trying......

Message 3 of 15
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

However, once your report catches up next month and it's paid, your scores will climb a bit.

Message 4 of 15
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

Once updated paid the scores will climb but likely you’ll only get about 50% of them back because payment status will reflect ‘paid in time’ but your payment history will still sow that 30 day late. It sucks and I feel your pain...it happened to me too!

Message 5 of 15
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Aspireto850 wrote:
Once updated paid the scores will climb <Sorry it wont happen unless they do a GW but likely you’ll only get about 50% of them back <Thats not going to happen because payment status will reflect ‘paid in time <This wont happen either. but your payment history will still show that 30 day late. < True It sucks and I feel your pain...it happened to me too!

In red. A 30 day has been reported. Point loss doesnt come back at any %. It wont reflect paid on time. It will show a 30 day late. In blue. Yes it will show that 30 day late. Unless the OP can work out a forgivennes oversight on their part. If they agree to adjust the payment and take back the 30 day. Then all points lost will return.

Message 6 of 15
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

@FireMedic,

Agree to disagree.

Same thing happened to me but with different creditor. 30 day hit and my score dropped 42 pts. The next month when the account was current my score increased 20 pts; paymet history showed 30 days but payment status changed to Pays as Agreed.

Not saying this will happen in everyone's situation but that was the case with mine. 

Message 7 of 15
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Aspireto850  other factors probably  contributed to your score increase, such as aging, decrease in utilization etc 

Just because events A and B happened close together, does not mean they are related. 

30 day late is "felt" entire time it remains on CR, and while there is some lessening over time compared to other delinquencies, it certainly does not happen in a month. 

Message 8 of 15
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

@Remedios,

Yes it will be felt the entire time it's on the report as is evident by it remaining as a 30 day in the 'payment history' section. Nothing else changed on my report and occured the very next month when that tradeline updated and no other events occurred. So as I said before, we'll just agree to disagree.

The OP will be able to have their own situational anecdote once their account updates.

Happy Friday!

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX customer service is awesome in my experience. I'd call them and beg for GW.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.