cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex won't delete paid CO tradelines! *$#%#*##!!!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex won't delete paid CO tradelines! *$#%#*##!!!!!!

SO bummed as this would of resulted in the biggest jump to my credit! If anyone has any advice, I'd REALLY appreciate it!...

Sent an email to the CEO/chariman requesting a goodwill adjustment to delete my 3 CO Amex accounts that have since been paid. Just got a call from a <name removed> and he told me that the Senior VP of Card Operations looked at it and determined they cannot delete the TL because then they would have to do that for other customers and they don't do that. I explained that I know first-hand of people who have had their Amex tradelines deleted in the same case as me.... CO Amex account, paid it, got an Optima card and back in the family.

He said that he isn't aware of any such situations. Further, they have to report accurately by law according to the Fair Credit Reporting Act. I said "Yes, that's true, you must report accurately by law, but the law doesn't require you to report at all so you can delete the TLs entirely and it would be totally legal." I got the feeling that <name removed> wasn't very familiar with the FCRA and didn't know this and didn't believe what I'm saying either.

He started to get upset with me towards the end of the call and told me that there's no point in sending any additional letters (I never said directly that I was going to do this anyway) because they would all come to him.

I Googled his name and found this contact info (below)... apparently he's the senior VP of Card Operations' assistant. And according to this, other people haven't had a great time dealing with him either:  <link removed> 

<name removed>

Senior Vice President, Card Operations
777 American Express Way
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl 33337

<email and phone removed>

Her assistant's contact information is:

<name removed>

Executive Assistant
Executive Office
American Express

<email and phone removed>

Anyone have any idea where I go from here? I need to get these TLs deleted! It's KILLING, KILLING, KILLING my score potential.

--edited to removed personal contact information

--pizzadude, myFICO moderator

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex won't delete paid CO tradelines! *$#%#*##!!!!!!

You are correct that there is no statutory provision preventing their deletion.

In fact, there is no statutory provision that even requires all reporting to be accurate.  Statute cannot mandate human accuracy.

The FCRA reporting requirement is stated in the double negative.... they cannot report information that is knowingly inaccurate.

However, conducting that debate with them is most likely counter productive.  While their stated reason may not be fully accurate, they dont need any reason, and in fact, do have a legitimate basis.  The CRAs have a firm written policy that prior reporting should not be deleted based on payment of the debt.

You are requesting a good-will deletion.  Contesting their rationale for not granting that request is most likely not conducive to their feeling of good will.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex won't delete paid CO tradelines! *$#%#*##!!!!!!

@RobertEG wrote:

You are correct that there is no statutory provision preventing their deletion.

In fact, there is no statutory provision that even requires all reporting to be accurate.  Statute cannot mandate human accuracy.

The FCRA reporting requirement is stated in the double negative.... they cannot report information that is knowingly inaccurate.

However, conducting that debate with them is most likely counter productive.  While their stated reason may not be fully accurate, they dont need any reason, and in fact, do have a legitimate basis.  The CRAs have a firm written policy that prior reporting should not be deleted based on payment of the debt.

You are requesting a good-will deletion.  Contesting their rationale for not granting that request is most likely not conducive to their feeling of good will.

So should I keep GWing it? Is sending one letter/day every day until I get a yes a good idea? Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.