cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance of new reporting after payment?

tag
oogy
Contributor

Any chance of new reporting after payment?

I am working on setting old debts and I'm noticing that one of them isn't actually showing up on my reports.

It is a US Cellular debt that got sent to a collection agency (Diversified Adjustment Services).

The debt is mine (the amount seems more than I would've expected, but I was bedridden and not really paying attention to my phone bill so I dunno) - I'm not disputing it.

I do plan to pay or settle - but I want to know what potential repercussions there could be for my credit score and if there's anything to be done to avoid them.

If I pay/settle (or even just call and talk) is there a significant chance that this could be a trigger for them to start reporting?

Obviously since they're not reporting right now, I'd like to keep it that way.  If I pay ASAP does that limit the odds of them deciding they should report one day?

Is there anything I need to do when talking to them to ensure they don't report?  I've been reading about people doing PFDs - but I don't need it to be deleted, I just need it to STAY invisible.

I'm not 100% sure if US Cellular still "owns" the debt or if it was completely sold to the CA, but would dealing with one vs the other be beneficial at all here?

Thanks!

Starting over from scratch again February 28, 2023.
I have not used a single credit account since circumstances decimated my credit in '19&'20 and now have no open accounts on my report.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Any chance of new reporting after payment?

You want to make a deal with the CA for no reporting in exchange for full payment and if that doesnt work try to get the OC to recall the debt in exchange for full payment (this only works if they still own the debt)
Message 2 of 4
oogy
Contributor

Ah! So instead of "Pay for Delete" it would be "Pay for never adding it to the report," but the same general concept?

That makes sense!  I assume it would be ideal to get something in writing in case they "forget"?

Starting over from scratch again February 28, 2023.
I have not used a single credit account since circumstances decimated my credit in '19&'20 and now have no open accounts on my report.
Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@oogy wrote:

Ah! So instead of "Pay for Delete" it would be "Pay for never adding it to the report," but the same general concept?

That makes sense!  I assume it would be ideal to get something in writing in case they "forget"?

Its a different form yes, it costs them money to send it to a CA. Gold standard is in writing but a verbal agreement is just as enforcable in court.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.