Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any luck with Midland or PRA?

tag
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

Re: Any luck with Midland or PRA?

@Anonymous wrote:
Luckily I’m past the SOL for them to be able to sue for these debts in my state. They fall off in about a year, but the way they report really sucks and I can’t believe it’s legal.

Welcome @bootsy52525

I am confused.  What part of reporting non payment of a legally obligated debt do you find to be illegal?

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

They’re reporting it as late /past due every month. How can a collection be “late”?
Message 12 of 19
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
They’re reporting it as late /past due every month. How can a collection be “late”?

If this is scheduled to fall off next year, you're 6 years late. 

Message 13 of 19
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Because it is.

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

They’re trying to collect a debt that becomes a month later every month.
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool thanks for all your help 👍🏽
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

To answer your original question; No, there is no other avenue to address this issue since they are not doing anything illegal.  It is the only leverage they have to get you to pay your debt.  I know it sucks, but without an effective way to collect debts our financial system would be a lot more expensive with the risk of lending going through the roof...

Is the amount too high to settle?  I know people would kill to have them as Collection Agencies as they give the much sought after pay for delete as standard policy.  I was 'lucky' enough to get both these companies to handle my baddies in the past.  I know that sounds strange as they were not very plesant to deal with, but the end result was a clean report and near 200 point increase...

Hope you get to a good place.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for answering my question. I’m trying to weigh the cost of paying them off when there’s only a year-ish left on them vs the cost of leaving them on to my credit score. One of them is a pretty big debt unfortunately. It was one my ex husband left me with and it’s $4500. The others are pretty small. It might be worth it to get the smaller ones deleted.
Message 18 of 19
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

It should be noted, the owner of the debt can still attempt to get you to pay even after they have been excluded from scoring on your credit reports.  They may also attempt to have you pay even if the SOL does not permit them to seek a legal judgement.

Each individual has to make a choice, but satisfying a legal obligation to pay a debt is typically the most thorough course to ensure attemots at collection stop.

050719:     
021924:     

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.