cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody Capital One secured cards Graduate AFTER the first year?

tag
oogy
Contributor

Anybody Capital One secured cards Graduate AFTER the first year?

I've been digging through the forums and keep finding reports of CapOne secured cards graduating and talk of how that's much more likely now than it used to be.  But for the ones that did graduate it always seems to be with the 11th statement.

When my wife and I started our rebuild, we chose a CapOne secured for her specifically because it sounded likely to graduate.  (would've gotten myself one too, but I didn't qualify because I'd burned them when my health fell apart and we lost our income).  

I just got a letter from Citi saying that the secured card I opened on the same day as her CapOne will be graduating in about a month.

Ironically when we signed up for these cards, my expectation was that her CapOne would graduate at about 1 yr and my Citi would take about 1.5 years.

Turns out the timeline was right for Citi but the CapOne hasn't budged (aside from the one CLI after the first several months).

Now that the 1 year mark is well passed (in fact, there have been 12 statements cut since the CLI went through), should we give up hope of this one graduating, or is there still a chance it will in the future?

I've been trying to find a report in the past couple of years of one graduating AFTER the first year rather than right at the end of it, and I don't think I've seen one yet.

Thanks!

Starting over from scratch again February 28, 2023.
I have not used a single credit account since circumstances decimated my credit in '19&'20 and now have no open accounts on my report.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anybody Capital One secured cards Graduate AFTER the first year?

I wish I knew this too. My 13th statement just cut and still nothing. I have done everything by the book too. Multiple large payments, autopay, everything. Hopefully someone else will comment, but I don't have high hopes. I couldn't find anything in the forums either. Good luck to you!
Message 2 of 6
aircobra
Regular Contributor

My first card graduated after a year but my other has not (been 15 months now).

Currently rebuilding:
1/18 -
7/19 -

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

mine hasnt graduate and i had it fo 2 years now.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had mine since 2014, but I was late back in 2015...  I gave up hope already!

Message 5 of 6
oogy
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I wish I knew this too. My 13th statement just cut and still nothing. I have done everything by the book too. Multiple large payments, autopay, everything. Hopefully someone else will comment, but I don't have high hopes. I couldn't find anything in the forums either. Good luck to you!

Well I can't say the responses in this thread are instilling a lot of hope that the card will ever graduate, but I guess we'll hang on to it a bit longer and see.  Ultimately, it's served its purpose, but would be nice not to have to open a new account and cancel that one.

This post gave me a bit of insight into perhaps why some of them wouldn't graduate:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-Card-Asset-Backed-Securities-ABS-and-why-some-subprime/td-p/5083619

Starting over from scratch again February 28, 2023.
I have not used a single credit account since circumstances decimated my credit in '19&'20 and now have no open accounts on my report.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.