cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have experience getting removed from EWS/check systems with BOA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone have experience getting removed from EWS/check systems with BOA?

So I made a account with Navy Fed and I was closed 2 days later due to being on EWS. I never knew they existed until today when trying to log on into my account to find out it was closed. I was a victim of fraud back in 2015 with PayPal and BOA. Was able to get PayPal rectified immediately but BOA wasn't having it and I refuse to pay for something that's not my fault. 

this year would make 5 years in August which I'm hoping makes it due for removal. Being that we are in may it haven't been a complete 5 years yet do I stand a chance of getting it removed now? Particularly with early warning services because that is who Navy federal uses. I'm not really concerned with Chexsystems as I'm content with banking with capital one but if I could get removed from them as well that would be great. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated because I'd love to build a relationship with navy fed as I've heard great things about them. 

-Thanks 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone have experience getting removed from EWS/check systems with BOA?

Regrettably, I have to be the bearer of bad news. Chexsystems removes negative items after 5 years, but EWS waits the full 7 years. Your only option would be to move to New York state, which requires the removal of paid negative items after 5 years, but even then you'd have to pay to clear it.

My advice would be to avail yourself of your options to fight it with BofA, because if it truly isn't a valid debt they have to remove it and if they don't, you can sue them. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forgot to ask, can you provide us with more detail on how this happened and what measures you took to dispute it with BofA? Because again, they can't just say you owe it if you actually don't. There are recourses for us as consumers to deal with this sort of thing, you don't just have to roll over and accept what BofA says. 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Regrettably, I have to be the bearer of bad news. Chexsystems removes negative items after 5 years, but EWS waits the full 7 years. Your only option would be to move to New York state, which requires the removal of paid negative items after 5 years, but even then you'd have to pay to clear it.

My advice would be to avail yourself of your options to fight it with BofA, because if it truly isn't a valid debt they have to remove it and if they don't, you can sue them. 

Well I live 15 minutes from NYC if that's a real thing, you think I can use a friends address to be a NY citizen. Long story short someone got hold of my info and tried to deposit checks into my account. I froze the account immediately but they were able to withdraw money. They also opened a PayPal account in my name where I got that rectified.

I did nothing because BOA was no help at all so I said f**k it and opened an account with another bank and thought I'd wait the 5 years out. I'm happy with my bank anyways. But I didn't even know EWS existed until yesterday when my new navy fed account was closed. I never heard of them until I called navy fed and asked them why it was closed abruptly.

So now I'll try and work on getting it removed from EWS. If not I'll just wait the 2 years til it falls off. Navy fed isn't going anywhere. Just would be great if I could join now while working on my credit. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same thing happened with me. It's no use in fighting BOA against fraud. Mine was closed in 2016. I'm just waiting it out to get my NavyFed accounts reopened...

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.