Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anything else I can do as of right now?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anything else I can do as of right now?

Starting my rebuild. I've been reading on here quite a lot the last few weeks and feel good about rebuilding my credit. A little background, mid 20's college student who tanked his credit 3 years ago because he didn't know how to properly manage his finances or debt. I have a couple baddies that I hope to work on within these next 6 months. 3 months ago I started a new job that increased my monthly income 4X. As of right now, my scores are:

Equifax: 651

TU: 578

Experian: 586

To my current situation. I applied for a cap1 secured back in may and was asked to verify info and then declined. Also applied for a discover secured and denied back in May as well. I started thinking I would have to get the OpenSky secured card and start from there but decided to wait a little more. Last week my wife added me to 2 of her cards as an AU(she has a 720 score). A 2 year old Amex Delta Gold with 6k SL a 0% util, and a recently approved Cap1 Quicksilver with a 10k SL. I thought these AU's would help me out so I started thinking about my rebuild. I pre-approved for a Cap1 unsecured platinum and a Discover IT secured. To my surprise, I was approved for both! 300 SL on the Cap1 which I believe is enrolled in credit steps and I paid a 200 deposit for the Discover so that's my SL. I guess my main question is should I apply for another rebuilder card or secured card so that I have 3 revolving accounts? No preapproval for Citi cards since I was looking at their secured. Would the AU cards help me out? I also have a student loan which is reporting as positive and I don't need to start paying it off until next year. My goals is to improve my score, graduate the discover card, and hopefully get approved for better unsecured cards in the future. I understand this will be a marathon and don't mind taking my time to make sure I get things right. Thanks

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Anything else I can do as of right now?

Congratulations with your success so far.

Yes, the authorized user accounts are helping your credit report.

For optimized FICO scoring, it is recommended to have 3 open primary revolving credit cards and installment loan.

You have 2 open CC and a student loan which is sufficient. I would let those CCs age at least 6 months before you think about applying for another CC. You want positive payment history and score increase to improve your odds of approval and higher credit line.

While you're waiting, I would recommend addressing any derogatory that is supressing your score: lates, charge offs, etc. Look into Pay For Delete, Good Will Saturation Technique.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.