Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application without an inquiry?

tag
meeklo062704
New Contributor

Application without an inquiry?

I submitted a credit application online over the weekend, and got a denial. I was immediately sent an email stating it was denied because- "Declined: Address reported used in true name fraud or credit fraud".... It seems they ran my mailing address (my work) in place of my billing address, so the address isn't on my report. I tried calling the creditor, and they won't discuss denied applications for any reason. I called TU to discuss with them, or dispute the inquiry so I could resubmit with the correct address, but they said there was no HP or SP on my credit, and it would show immediately if there was.

The denial email I received stated the information for my credit came from TU, and I was told beforehand they only report to TU and the app would be a HP, but it only asked for the last 4 of my ss#. So if there's no inquiry on my report, am I in the clear on that one?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Application without an inquiry?

When did you app?
Message 2 of 7
meeklo062704
New Contributor

@rmduhon wrote:
When did you app?

I applied Saturday afternoon, and as of 8:00am Monday, there's no inquiry. That's not from CK, that was directly from a TU rep.

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

They are saying that the CRA had issues with your personal identifiers that cast some uncertainty in identification of the specific consumer whose credit report was being sought, so the CRA denied the inquiry.

That is a proper practice if the CRA has any doubt/uncertainty.

FCRA procedures for identifcation that their decision was based at least in part on info obtained in a credit report from a CRA obviously do not apply, as they are stating that they never received a credit report.

Looks proper to me.

Simply provide the confusing info, and have them re--submit.

Once they have received a credit report, the FCRA requirement to identify any reason used based on that report will then apply, as will your ability to then receive a free credit report if they deny your app.

Message 4 of 7
meeklo062704
New Contributor

I understand the denial was correct. The application process was odd. You fill out the shopping cart on the site, shipping address, mailing address, etc... Then at payment options you select to supply, and it pulls the info for the application from the cart checkout process, except for the last 4 of ss#. I just didn't realize it pulled the wrong address.

My original intent was to try and get the original inquiry pulled, and reapply. Unfortunately, they don't allow a second application. So now I'm trying to see if I'll need to get the inquiry removed, or if it's even going to show up. TU said all inquiries show up immediately for them, but there was nothing showing. Last inquiry showing is from 2 years ago.

Do inquiries take longer than a couple days for a CRA to be able to see them?

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Then the issue is apparently not with the CRA, but rather with the creditor.

The CRA records no inquiry.  It was dismissed without being filled.

The issue appears to be that the software used by the creditor is structured to prevent a second request if a first request does not provide a credit report.

Automated "shopping cart" processes dont permit deviations.

You will likely need to get a rep from the creditor to permit a manual second attempt at an inquiry.

Message 6 of 7
meeklo062704
New Contributor

That's the odd part. I finally got to with a rep from the creditor. They show that the app went through. I asked if they could override the second app rule, and he said no. I even tried to ask if I got something in writing from TU if they could override, and he still said no. So I'm hoping I dodged a bullet on the inquiry. The lack of approval is unfortunate, because the interest structure was good, actually better than most credit cards. $5/month for every $500 of balance. **bleep** car parts.

Is there ever a delayed inquiry that pops up after a week or weeks?
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.