Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for another cap 1 card?

tag
KingJaffeJo
New Contributor

Apply for another cap 1 card?

So here is my dilemma...I have 3 CO’s from 2014 on my credit history. 2 AMEX and 1 BOA. I currently have a Cap 1 World MC w/an $11k limit which is my only real credit card. My FICO is 684 and I’m wondering if I should apply for the cap 1 savor card to at least have 2 cc’s instead of one to somehow help me build my credit back up. My only other card is a Tires plus card.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

Re: Apply for another cap 1 card?

I wouldn’t apply at CAP1 if you have a real card with them and CO’s on your report. To me it’s kinda like poking the bear.

I’m sure someone else will chime in.

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 2 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Looking at the whole picture. Getting more credit doesnt help you gain much with baddies in the background. You need to take care of the CO's first. Then your scores will rise some more which would lead to better cards then than now. I know thats not want you wanted to hear. But you have to take care of the past so the future is better. More good than bad doesnt fix the problem. Or make your scores better.

Message 3 of 8
KingJaffeJo
New Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll sit on my hands for now and address those COs. I figured since I got a big CLI from Cap without me asking, things were looking good. A recent denial from PNC for their cash rewards card stung a lil. So I wasn’t sure if I should stick with Cap since I know a lot of folks have multiple cards with them, thus helping them out with their scores.
Message 4 of 8
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Cap One has been great for me.

My first card starting rebuild and my first large limit card after rebuild started.

Are you prequal for Savor and Venture?

If so, I would get it if you want it.

It should be at least a $5k SL if prequal for Venture.

GL.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^ flip side to the above is that CapOne is unduly selective with those two cards - if you don’t have a preapproval for them, it’s probably best not to waste three HPs for a likely denial.
Message 6 of 8
KingJaffeJo
New Contributor

I haven’t tried to prequalify for them yet. I haven’t received anything in the mail. I can just go on their site and try to see if I am, correct?
Message 7 of 8
KingJaffeJo
New Contributor

So no offers when I tried to prequalify. I guess I really need to clear up a few of these CO’s. I’ll knock of this $1600 BOA balance and settle on my Amex one side that one is just too high. I’ll wait to do that Jan 1st cuz I don’t want to get hit with that 1099 on this yrs tax return
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.