Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for credit now?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apply for credit now?

I've been rebuilding since may of 2016 and I been gardening since august of 2016. I'm a member of nfcu since march of 2017 but I have not applied for a credit card or any loan with them. My credit report goes like this
Quicksilver $1600/4100
Discover $0/400
Capital one buypower card $0/750
BoA closed charge off paid in full - falls off report in 2019
EQ 651
TU 659
EX 661
I have a total of 4 inquires combined with all 3CB
Age of credit like 1 year 4 months.
Should I apply for a $1000 loan and credit card from nfcu today or keep gardening

Thanks to help from this forum those are my current scores last may when I started I was 520
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apply for credit now?

I would go for it. My scores were a lot worse when I started with them.Still got a cash rewards card with a $14.3k SL

You can't win unless you place a bet...

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just did nfcu credit card cash reward and was approved for 15k woooooo
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Just did nfcu credit card cash reward and was approved for 15k woooooo

That's absolutely freakin AWESOME! I love NFCU. Congratulations my friend! What a great feeling 

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's an amazing sl, congratulations good job. Dv
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea I'm doing the happy dance! And if anyone wondering they HP TU
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

To answer the OP's question

1) CC app = Sure

2) $1000 Loan? = Not IMO
I'd recommend the CLOC vs a simple $1000 PL

a) It's a LOC that can be used & reused as a financial TOOL on your tool belt of life.

b) If your objective is to add an installer and 💰 is an issue I still prefer grabbing the LOC
Use it ( if you 'have' to) secure a SSL from Alliant CU of only $500 ( does what you'd be looking for) then immediately pay back about $460 and set auto pay for about $.67 to get the juice of an open, maintained installer as long as you can while building ( gardening etc) bam, boom , pow

Net result = score enhancement, another positive account + an established LOC , all aging beautifully ( but the LOC has long term 'usage' ability, where the SSL is just a temporary 'flash' tool)
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a good plan but I almost pulled the trigger on a personal loan but to nfcu advice told me to hold off on it if I'm planning a car Loan soon as to avoid another HP. My car will mostly not make it thru the winter so I'm pretty sure I will be aping with in 4 months. Trying to drive this car till the wheels fall off lol.
Message 8 of 12
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the new card!  If you're going to apply for a car loan in the next few months, I would just concentrate on paying down your credit card. With your new SL and NFCU no BT card, you may want to consider doing a BT for now.  That should boost your score a little.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 9 of 12
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations on your new CC!

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.