Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approaching AMEX after a Charge-Off

tag
Roy-Batty-6
Valued Member

Approaching AMEX after a Charge-Off

I'm looking to get a new AMEX card. I had a Blue Sky Miles card that was charged off during the 2008 recession. I paid back the $275 balance (well after the TL fell off my CRs) and I've been hesitant to do it until I raised my scores to above 680 across the board.

As I've recently done that, I'm looking to reapply, but I'm concerned about being on AMEX's Black List and the subsequent auto-rejection, which is a wasted hard pull.

Thoughts?

Starting Score: 447 - 5/2019, FICO 9 by Wells Fargo
Current Score: 732 - 1/2022, FICO 9 by Wells Fargo
Goal Score:770

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

4/2022
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
vsChance
Valued Member

Re: Approaching AMEX after a Charge-Off

Have you attempted the prequal page to see if anything is being offered to you?

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/check-for-offers/?inav=menu_cards_prequal_offer

I doubt a balance that low would get you blacklisted.

Message 2 of 5
SedimentaryRock
Contributor

They have an Optima/OASIS program for people with current COs to get back in good graces. I suppose the Optima card offer is used as incentive to pay off a current CO, but I don't know how your situation would fit in. You could call 877-354-8148 and ask I suppose. That's the number where I reached the people to whom I paid my CO and who sent me the Optima information. I'm applying now after paying off my balance yesterday. 

FICO8
April 2020 EQ 541 TU 575 EXP 545
Mar 2021 EQ 672 TU 682 EXP 674
Goal Score 800
GARDENING until 6/20/2021
Message 3 of 5
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

If you already paid what you owed then there is no blacklist. You did the right thing. If there is no balance to pay then there is no Optima Card. Also you mentioned it was from 2008. Some thing is not right. I would say call Amex and find out. May be some thing else.

Message 4 of 5
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Roy-Batty-6 wrote:

I'm looking to get a new AMEX card. I had a Blue Sky Miles card that was charged off during the 2008 recession. I paid back the $275 balance (well after the TL fell off my CRs) and I've been hesitant to do it until I raised my scores to above 680 across the board.

As I've recently done that, I'm looking to reapply, but I'm concerned about being on AMEX's Black List and the subsequent auto-rejection, which is a wasted hard pull.

Thoughts?

I burned them for over $7K on a Gold card in 2012. Ended up making arrangements and paying them back directly before they sent me to collections.  They started giving me preapprovals last year on their Delta cards. I pulled the trigger on a Delta Gold and was approved with a ~660 EX while my previous CO from them was still sitting on my CR. Definitely start with their prequals and see what you get. I can't say for certain, but I highly doubt you would still be on their naughty list at this point. Best of luck on getting back in! Smiley Happy

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.