cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for CSP while still owning a secured card.

tag
naptime84
Established Member

Approved for CSP while still owning a secured card.

Can't express how happy I am and it's all thanks to this forum. A year ago I saw the CSP and knew I wanted it despite having scores between 550 to 620.

This year has been one big concentrated GW letter writing and dispute sending spree. Also added 4 "shopping cart trick" cards last month to go with my $1500 secured bank card. Made all my payments ontime for 2 years. Last year I had pretty bad utilization but paid it down to about 8% this year.

Got a ton of baddies knocked off this month actually by sending online disputes even though I read this was ineffective. Over the past few days I read on CK that people were getting approved with worse scores and history than myself so I pulled the trigger today. Just got approved for the minimum $5k and they're expediting my card to me.

For those wondering about scores, I had a CK of 723 and Fako's between 720 and 755. Not sure what Chase pulled. How do I find out? Thanks again to this forum.

Starting Score: 530
Current Score: EQ: 663 TU: 635 EX: 749
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Approved for CSP while still owning a secured card.

@naptime84 wrote:

Can't express how happy I am and it's all thanks to this forum. A year ago I saw the CSP and knew I wanted it despite having scores between 550 to 620.

This year has been one big concentrated GW letter writing and dispute sending spree. Also added 4 "shopping cart trick" cards last month to go with my $1500 secured bank card. Made all my payments ontime for 2 years. Last year I had pretty bad utilization but paid it down to about 8% this year.

Got a ton of baddies knocked off this month actually by sending online disputes even though I read this was ineffective. Over the past few days I read on CK that people were getting approved with worse scores and history than myself so I pulled the trigger today. Just got approved for the minimum $5k and they're expediting my card to me.

For those wondering about scores, I had a CK of 723 and Fako's between 720 and 755. Not sure what Chase pulled. How do I find out? Thanks again to this forum.

Grats on your CSP Smiley Happy

To get the inquiry list you would need to pull your reports to find it or if you have monitoring on all 3 you will get an alert.

Message 2 of 7
naptime84
Established Member

Ah they Chase dinged me for EX and TU. I got kind of greedy and asked for a slightly higher limit and got HP's at EX and TU again. I'm in WI for those wondering.

I applied to Barclays the same day and they shot me down while pulling EX. My score was good but they said my 2 years of perfect payment history with my secured card wasn't good enough. I thought the fact that the card was "secured"  didn't show on credit reports, only the credit line amount. Guess I learned something new.

Message 3 of 7
mebell
Regular Contributor

J/W, what secured card do you have that they were able to tell it was secured?

Starting Score: TU 629 6/2013
Current Score: TU 697 (March'14) EQ 688 (April'14) EX 693 (March '14)
Goal Score: 700

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
Message 4 of 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@naptime84 wrote:

Ah they Chase dinged me for EX and TU. I got kind of greedy and asked for a slightly higher limit and got HP's at EX and TU again. I'm in WI for those wondering.

I applied to Barclays the same day and they shot me down while pulling EX. My score was good but they said my 2 years of perfect payment history with my secured card wasn't good enough. I thought the fact that the card was "secured"  didn't show on credit reports, only the credit line amount. Guess I learned something new.

With which institution do you have the secured card? Have you pulled your three credit reports from annualcreditreport.com and reviewed it to see how the card is being reported? I have three secured cards and have not had any issues getting a few unsecured credit cards recently ... even with a ch 7 bankruptcy on my record.

Message 5 of 7
NWintellectual
Regular Contributor

I know US Bank reports "secured credit card" when they post to my report. But when talking to my CU about possibly adding a card from them, and when asked if I would be willing to accept a secured card, my first question was whether it reported as "secured" or not, and she said there was no notation of "secured" in their reporting. So it really depends on the bank issuing the card.

Starting Score (2/15/14): TU 533 (myFICO) | EQ 509 (myFICO)
Latest score (4/5/14): TU 541 (Lender) | EQ 562 (SW) | EX 576 (myFICO)
Goal Score by 9/30/14: 620+ | Goal Score by 6/30/15: 700+
-----
My wallet:
US Bank LanPass Secured $500 | US Bank HD Secured $300 | Fingerhut $200 | Local CU $1000
Message 6 of 7
naptime84
Established Member

I had a secured card from a local credit union called Landmark.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.