Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approximate Timelines for Impact

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approximate Timelines for Impact

Curious what other's experience has been regarding how long "positive" things on your credit reports too to actually reflect in your scores?

My credit was doing quite well late in 2016 (compared to where I had been), and I was rebounding well. Then, I (fairly badly) broke my leg, and the medical bills started. I had also already purchased non-refundable tickets for a first-in-a-lifetime trip to Italy in the spring. To add to all of that, I found a place to move to, so moving expenses got piled on as well! While I kept up with all my payments, I was maxed out on all my credit.

A fairly recent accident left me with a payout (no injuries on my part thankfully) and rather than running out and replacing my bike, I instead did the "adult" thing and paid off all my revolving debt, paid off my lowest balance loan, paid off a couple smaller medical bills, did the truck repairs I had been putting off, put a little into savings, and bought myself one splurge item for "behaving" lol.

I still want (and kind of need but can live without for a few months) a new bike - but my thought is that I will wait until sometime this winter, give my credit time to rebound, and save up for a nice downpayment, and finance the remainder (plus bikes tend to get cheaper in the winter).

In your experience, how long did it take for revolving debt payoff to impact your score, and what kind of impact did it have? Historically I've noticed a fairly dramatic jump once it's been on there a couple months, but wanted to see what others have experienced as well.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approximate Timelines for Impact

@Anonymous wrote:

Curious what other's experience has been regarding how long "positive" things on your credit reports too to actually reflect in your scores?

My credit was doing quite well late in 2016 (compared to where I had been), and I was rebounding well. Then, I (fairly badly) broke my leg, and the medical bills started. I had also already purchased non-refundable tickets for a first-in-a-lifetime trip to Italy in the spring. To add to all of that, I found a place to move to, so moving expenses got piled on as well! While I kept up with all my payments, I was maxed out on all my credit.

A fairly recent accident left me with a payout (no injuries on my part thankfully) and rather than running out and replacing my bike, I instead did the "adult" thing and paid off all my revolving debt, paid off my lowest balance loan, paid off a couple smaller medical bills, did the truck repairs I had been putting off, put a little into savings, and bought myself one splurge item for "behaving" lol.

I still want (and kind of need but can live without for a few months) a new bike - but my thought is that I will wait until sometime this winter, give my credit time to rebound, and save up for a nice downpayment, and finance the remainder (plus bikes tend to get cheaper in the winter).

In your experience, how long did it take for revolving debt payoff to impact your score, and what kind of impact did it have? Historically I've noticed a fairly dramatic jump once it's been on there a couple months, but wanted to see what others have experienced as well.

It will affect your score as soon as the new balances update at the end of the cards billing cycle. UTI has no "memory" of previous balances, its calculated purely on whatever was last reported.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It will affect your score as soon as the new balances update at the end of the cards billing cycle. UTI has no "memory" of previous balances, its calculated purely on whatever was last reported.

And for best score results, let ONE of your revolving accounts report a small balance of <10% of its limit. You don't want all of them reporting a zero balance.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

NormanFH wrote:

And for best score results, let ONE of your revolving accounts report a small balance of <10% of its limit. You don't want all of them reporting a zero balance.

Thanks, I can do that easy enough.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.