Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approximate time to recover from late payments

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approximate time to recover from late payments

Hi,
I need help. I filed bankruptcy and it was discharged 4 years ago. Then, I opened many credit cards (majority was used to finance a business w/someone who put no money towards it - trust when I say lesson learned) and was barely skating by, but I was at least making my minimum payments. BUT, then I had an astronomical high medical bill that I didn’t want hitting my credit report. This caused a domino effect and I became late on my credit cards. My score plummeted from 650’s to 520. Right now I’m at 571 and am seeking advice on how long it will take to get my score back up to 650 and beyond. Currently, I am delinquent with one card remaining out of many. I wanted to be mortgage ready, but with recent late pays, I don’t know. There are abt 4 accounts w/60 days reported for 2 months, one w/5 or 6 months late and about 2 accounts w/30 days late reported. I’ve entertained goodwill letters to remove the late pays, but am unsure.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
ldkcivilservant
Frequent Contributor

Re: Approximate time to recover from late payments

If I understand correctly, you have at least 1 account that is 6 months late?

That is considered a serious deliquancy, and will hut for basically all of the7 years it remains on your reports. You need to start paying to current and goodwilling the heck out of some people in the hopes they will remove some stuff.

Honestly in your case though, this looks like a documented history of failing to meet your obligations, rather than a one time lapse that might be fixed by a GWA.

I don't thnk you should be looking a mortgages for a good few years until this is fixed I'm afraid.

NFCU Platinum $50k | Amex Delta Platinum $25k | Elan Financial $19.7k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $16k | Bank Americard $16k | Discover IT $13K | NFCU Flagship Rewards $10k | GS AppleCard $5.5k | Citi Simplicity $3k
Message 2 of 15
radfam
Frequent Contributor

I am someone who had a long long long history of late payments.  Mostly just ignorance on my part, but I've corrected that behavior with the help of these forums.  As I am reading your post, it looks like you were faced with either paying credit cards or a large medical bill that would end up in collection.  Unfortunately, the lates (especially the 90 day to 180 day lates) are as bad as a collection (if I'm not mistaken).  They are considered major derogatories and will ding your score for the full 7 years.  Can your score rise in spite of that?  Yes.  What will help?  Time.  Good payment patterns.  Possibly Goodwill letters to creditors, though I wouldn't count on it.  

As far as your mortgage-readiness, I'd say you may be in a position where you must wait.  I also came to these boards for that exact reason.  Two years later, my reports are just now in a position to start the process.  That was after extensive effort on my part to clean up my reports.  People on here told me I would end up having to wait and I thought "no way, not happening."  Ultimately that is what happened and it was the best decision possible for us.  Renting longer sucked, but it was a consequence of my own actions (late payments habitually).  

Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I figured a GW with that creditor will be a long shot, but the other ones have 2 late payments out of 36 or 48 months. One of my creditors told me to submit a dispute, but if it’s legitimate, I wondered if I should submit a letter explaining what happened. During that time, I also had to travel for work and I get reimbursed later so it just was a combination of things. I figured I’d have to wait on the mortgage, but how long do you think it will be to recover at least to the minimum of 650? The other thing holding back my scores before the late payments was credit utilization. So I’ve made it my goal to use extra money towards paying off my balances. Thank you for responding.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! Well, I didn’t even think of the GW letters but one of my creditors said that would remove the late payments since they could see I had an otherwise great payment history. The GW is for the other creditors in which I have 1 or 2 lates reporting. That one creditor I am working on to get it current. I have been in contact w/all of my creditors...even though I did get accounts closed on me since my score dropped. (Accts. with otherwise great payment history, but I understand it’s at their discretion.)

So you think I’ll have to wait 2 years?!?!? I do know I need to take care of my credit, but I’m hopeful that when I lower my balances and continue to make on-time payments, I would see a significant difference in 6 months. But what I’m gathering is that it might not be enough time, correct?!
Message 5 of 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yes, unfortunately 6 months is too short a time to recover from lates. 2 years is good, but even then, your scores will continue to be suppressed by those 90+ lates for the full 7 years. GW letters and time are your only options right now.

I've got 8 COs (4 still showing a balance) and 1 collection reporting and I just can't break the 600 mark. And even when I pay those charge offs back, they'll still hurt my scores all 7 years.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 15
radfam
Frequent Contributor

It does take time for sure.  Many of my lates were in the 30/60 day range, but I had double digits in total count that were 90-180d+ late.  It is very dependant on the profile.  I'm in the high 600s (680/690 range) for all three scores and still have 48 lates on each report.  It is possible, but very very very profile-specific.

I know it isn't what you want to hear on the waiting years thing.  Unfortunately it can be the only option sometimes.  Especially if goodwill doesn't work.  I had mixed results with goodwill letters.  Most of my lates have fallen off on their own with time.  My post below is from last month (11/7/19) and at that time, I had 57 lates still on TU.  I just checked and now have 48 this month, because a string of lates all deleted at the same time.  

Edit to add link from where I posted about my own experience with lates recently:  https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Triple-Digit-Lates-on-my-TU-Down-to-Double-D... 

Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 7 of 15
radfam
Frequent Contributor

That said, if your creditors are ameniable to your goodwill efforts, sure it is possible to get a mortgage quicker.  Only a few months may be a stretch, but I've seen stranger things here on the forums so anything is possible.

Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! Yes, you’re right about not wanting to wait years, but I will focus on paying on time and writing goodwill letters. 7 years for a late to fall off is lonnngggg although I think it is lessened after a few years.
Message 9 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you! Yes, you’re right about not wanting to wait years, but I will focus on paying on time and writing goodwill letters. 7 years for a late to fall off is lonnngggg although I think it is lessened after a few years.

Every late counts for the full 7 years as a result of scorecard segmentation... even 30D lates which don't banish you into the derogatory scorecards like a 60D+ does, or a public record.

If I've read your posts correctly, recovery is a process of getting current on all debts and then letting time pass short of GW letters: if the lates are still there they count.

There is a "recent deliquency" reason code which disappears after a certain period of time on all FICO models but it's longer than a year on most.  That said, with solid positive history and a smattering of lates one can still score above 760 on every relevant score for Transunion, so there's a path out of the credit darkness but it's important to establish positive history not just negative tradelines.  Also to note if you have a BK on your record that's there for the entire 10 years and much like my tax lien of yesteryear, going to have to get cozy in those scorecards for a while unfortunately unless it wanders away.

        
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.