Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Capital One and Synchrony forgiving? Collections

tag
Shawn19AL
Frequent Contributor

Are Capital One and Synchrony forgiving? Collections

I had two cards with Capital one. Both went to collections.

1 was fully paid off and taken off my credit report. The second has one payment left and it will be fully paid.  It should come off my credit 30 days or so after.

I had around 5 cards with Comenity, all currently in collections.  Im working on paying those off.  3 are in payment arrangements with Portfolio Recovery. Once I pay these off fully, will Capital One and Comenity/Synchrony let me back in?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Are Capital One and Synchrony forgiving? Collections

Both usually will, but no one knows when 

Cap One is usually much quicker to forgive. Check prequals, they are fairly reliable. 

Synch also will eventually get over it, but probably later than Cap One.

Even if something is no longer on your credit report, it's still present within lender's internal records, so I would not rely on absence of something on CR as a guidance if you will be approved or not. 

Message 2 of 7
Shawn19AL
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, @remedios  for the response.  Well cheese crackers!  I would really like to get my Paypal/Amazon/Old navy credit cards. I shopped those  religuously.  Capital one , eh its not a big deal

Message 3 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Cap-1 has a stated policy no new cards till at least one year post date of the CO and there are people who get back in without ever paying off previous COs. The only time you might be able to get back in earlier than the one year is after a BK7 and you did not hit them too hard in the filing. Synchrony is also forgiving but there is no set time frame for them, once you have paid them all off you could try 6 months after that and see what happens, the card would matter too as there are different underwriting specs for each card.

Message 4 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Synch will get over it in time. Maybe in the future start with Amazon store card and see what they say. At least it's a single pull unlike Cap One's triple tap 

Message 5 of 7
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Cap1 probably already forgave you months ago Smiley Very Happy They gave me a new card only 3 months after I settled-for-less on 2 other cap1 cards that were charged off. As long as your credit is showing an improvement, they'll frequently give second (and third and fourth) chances to almost anyone with a pulse.

However, you should take care of the other chargeoffs before you apply for any new credit with anyone. Chances are your scores are in the dumps because of those, and even cap1 won't approve in that case. But as soon as they're paid off, cap1 should be good to go.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 6 of 7
Shawn19AL
Frequent Contributor

I'm in the rebuilding stage but currently my scores are 635, 646, and 628.

I have a few credit cards for credit purposes but I'd really like to get the cards I listed before however, if NFCU unsecures my card in the future Im not focusing too much on it.

I was thinking about it as I looked at the remaining two collections I have to pay off and wondered if I would ever be able to get back in.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.