cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As a re-builder, have you ever had moments of giving up? If so, how do you deal with that? ;)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a re-builder, have you ever had moments of giving up? If so, how do you deal with that? ;)

While my mom has excellent credit, I don't. And I am in the painful process of settling numerous accounts while watching my once-good credit scores take a nasty nosedive. 

I am about to give up. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
jgdev
Regular Contributor

Re: As a re-builder, have you ever had moments of giving up? If so, how do deal with that? ;)

Don't think of it as a painful process. Mistakes happen. All you can do is learn from your past self and move forward. Celebrate the victories of paying off accounts and getting things removed from your credit. 

06/01/2022

12/07/17
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: As a re-builder, have you ever had moments of giving up? If so, how do deal with that? ;)

Thanks for the reply, and you are absolutely right! 

I just have too many financial obligations, and I am living paycheck to paycheck. Besides, even when I am done settling the accounts, I will be blacklisted. I have charge-offs from EVERY prime lender out there.

Message 3 of 11
jgdev
Regular Contributor

I had originally written a giant post but website error and had to restart haha. But I know what you mean. I had a total of 12 charge offs. Credit cards, student loans etc. These happened from 2012-2016. I got a little luck on a few of them coming off the credit reports and even got a charge off cancelled to where I am no longer liable for the debt. But seeing those accounts go from ridiculous to nothing has been amazing. I had a total of $54k in charged off debt. I drove for lyft for a while, I improved my skill set to get promotions at work, I did everything I could to make more money so I could end the paycheck to paycheck struggle. It get's better without a doubt. Eventually you start to get a weird sense of satisfaction for everything you fix or improve. Don't give up. Not worth it in the end, I went 5 years with horribly damaged credit and scores in the upper 400s low 500s. Not being able to get approved for a stick of gum sucks! It also helps build up the skillset in managing the debt so later on you don't fall into the same trap. All of my cards are sitting at a $0 balance on almost any given day now and I have money in a savings account(this is a new one for me). Learning the mindset and skills to manage all this stuff has all my bills paid out 2 months in advance.

06/01/2022

12/07/17
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your post motivates me to think of my current financial situation as a wake-up call--a reason (if you will) to practice good financial habits. Smiley Happy 

On the bright side, I have settled 1 of my 9 accounts. And I am in the process of settling another one,  so I guess that's a win! Unfortunately, I am in the process of settling another account through a litigation agency because I am being sued by the creditor. (Yikes! Lol.)

You live and learn.

Thanks so much for your sharing a snippet of your re-building story--it's definitely food for thought.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: As a re-builder, have you ever had moments of giving up? If so, how do you deal with that? ;)

Hey man hang in there and don’t give up. Create a spreadsheet and take it one month at a time. Make sure you budget well and watch your score slowly grow.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: As a re-builder, have you ever had moments of giving up? If so, how do you deal with that? ;)

I'm actually feeling that way right now. My husband and I have only 2 collection accounts left but one is a 3500 rental debt from 3 years ago. I feel like it's impossible to get it taken care of because the collection agency is so nasty and impossible to deal with. We are trying to buy a house in August or September but I feel so defeated right now. Not to mention Equifax being dumbssses by deleting a perfectly good standing open student loan account when I requested the status be updated which dropped my husband's score 42 pts after I just got it up 85 points. I can't get a medical collection off despite having proof of coverage for my child. I'm just at a low point. I deal with this by feeling defeated and letting myself feel that way and then getting back on the horse a week or so later when I've recouperated my drive. Despite my give up condition I still check in on myfico forums daily. I think just looking for hope.
Best of luck to you. One step at a time.
Message 7 of 11
austingal
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I can't get a medical collection off despite having proof of coverage for my child.

Have you tried using the HIPAA process? If not, google "HIPAA process credit confusion" and you'll see the site with instructions for how to do this.

HIPAA is the medical privacy law that makes it so that health care providers should not be furnishing certain details about the care to the CRAs. This makes it easier to dispute the account directly with the CRAs without them being able to confirm it.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Time... Patience and finding something else to focus on.

For years i focused on doing tremendous overtime to ensure not getting any new negatives.

Constantly disputing everything I wanted off my report.

Contacting collection agencies for lower buyout options.

Then just hurry up and wait.

Its all a process to learn from.
Message 9 of 11
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

1) I remind myself that I'm in this for the long game. This isn't going to happen overnight. With 120-day lates reporting on federal student loans in 2015, there is literally nothing I can do to get out of the 'major derogatory' credit scoring bucket until those drop off in 2022. This is a matter of law (Higher Education Act) and no amount of goodwill letters will change that. I've just accepted that there are things that I cannot change as a result of my poor choices and I can choose to redirect my time and efforts to other things where I can actually effectuate change.

2) I focus on improving my overall financial health rather than just improving my credit scores. Sometimes improving one's overall financial situation does absolutely nothing for a credit score (e.g. creating an emergency fund or paying off a higher APR card rather than a higher utilization % card). Creating a robust emergency fund and a budget that I actually follow will hopefully prevent my ox from ever ending up in the mire again.

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.