cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking OC to recall collection. How do I do this?

tag
bmblbg
Regular Contributor

Asking OC to recall collection. How do I do this?

I'm a bit confused about how to go about asking OC to terminate collection authority of assigned CA.

I have a $279 outstanding balance with Cox. Cox still owns the debt. Collection authority is assigned to Credit Management.

Based upon what I've read and been advised in the forums, I'd like to ask Cox to recall the debt and pay directly to the OC.

But - I keep also reading that I shouldn't pay until I have something in writing, and I have a hard time believing Cox will just take my word for it and let me call them back later to make a payment while I wait for something written to arrive.

How does one handle this situation?

Any input/advice greatly appreciated (and needed!)

Thanks Smiley Happy

Mortgage Scores:
11/26/2018 EQ: 542 EX: 610 TU: 548
8/30/2018 EQ: 571 EX: 504 TU: 533
7/30/2018: EQ: 598 EX: 591 TU: 608
4/5/2018 EQ: 543 EX: 522 TU: 467
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Asking OC to recall collection. How do I do this?

It is often better to deal directly with the debt collector if removal of a collection is your goal, rather than to pursue the around-the-barn process of first getting the OC to terminate their assignment of collection authoirty before paying, and then paying the OC.

The debt collector, not the OC, controls and reporting of their collection, and obtaining agreement directly from the debt collector is legally binding on the debt collector.

Has the debt collector alreqdy reported their collection to the CRA?

If so, you can offer a PFD to the debt collector, and if they accept, get it deleted.

If they have not reported, contact them and make a pay for NOT reporting offer.

Message 2 of 7
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

You only request something in writing if you are asking for a PFD from a ca. (or at least from what I know). If you can pay the debt in full with Cox, simply call them and ask them if they can recall the debt if  you pay now. I did this with Comcast/Xfinity. They said they would recall the debt if I paid. I could still log into my account credentials, so I simply made the payment online. I called them back to verify that they would recall the CA. Even if they don't I have the email confirmations from them about paying the debt online. So if the CA ever hit my reports, it would be easy enough to dispute and have it removed with their confirmation of payment acceptance and my bank statement.

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 3 of 7
bmblbg
Regular Contributor

Yes, collection account is already reporting to CRAs. Cox has confirmed that it was not sold and is "assigned" but Cox owns the debt. I initially tried PFD with CA and that was refused. 

@RobertEG wrote:

It is often better to deal directly with the debt collector if removal of a collection is your goal, rather than to pursue the around-the-barn process of first getting the OC to terminate their assignment of collection authoirty before paying, and then paying the OC.

The debt collector, not the OC, controls and reporting of their collection, and obtaining agreement directly from the debt collector is legally binding on the debt collector.

If so, you can offer a PFD to the debt collector, and if they accept, get it deleted.

Mortgage Scores:
Message 4 of 7
bmblbg
Regular Contributor

@BmoreBull wrote:

You only request something in writing if you are asking for a PFD from a ca. (or at least from what I know). If you can pay the debt in full with Cox, simply call them and ask them if they can recall the debt if  you pay now. I did this with Comcast/Xfinity. They said they would recall the debt if I paid. I could still log into my account credentials, so I simply made the payment online. I called them back to verify that they would recall the CA. Even if they don't I have the email confirmations from them about paying the debt online. So if the CA ever hit my reports, it would be easy enough to dispute and have it removed with their confirmation of payment acceptance and my bank statement.

Thanks! I can PIF. Our situations are a bit different, as the CA is already showing on all my reports Smiley Sad I wish I'd caught mine in time to keep it from reporting! I moved and didn't get my mail in a timely manner. My fault, for sure. 

Mortgage Scores:
Message 5 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@bmblbg wrote:

Yes, collection account is already reporting to CRAs. Cox has confirmed that it was not sold and is "assigned" but Cox owns the debt. I initially tried PFD with CA and that was refused. 

@RobertEG wrote:

Then your options are to get the OC to recall it in exchange for payment, you just tell them you want to pay them and ask that they cancel the collection in exch for the payment pretty straight forward, a verbal agreement is just as enforcable as a written one, some OCs will give you a confirmation others will not. The other option is to pay it and move to a good will letter campaign asking the CA for a deletion of the paid collection.

Message 6 of 7
bmblbg
Regular Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@bmblbg wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

Then your options are to get the OC to recall it in exchange for payment, you just tell them you want to pay them and ask that they cancel the collection in exch for the payment pretty straight forward, a verbal agreement is just as enforcable as a written one, some OCs will give you a confirmation others will not. The other option is to pay it and move to a good will letter campaign asking the CA for a deletion of the paid collection.

Great! Thanks again to everyone for the feedback/advice. Much appreciated! 

Mortgage Scores:
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.