Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking to Omit vs Goodwill Adjustment?

tag
shane82388
Established Contributor

Asking to Omit vs Goodwill Adjustment?

Has anyone asked a creditor to simply omit the account from reporting versus artificially changing their reporting through a good will adjustment?

From what I understand its not against the rules for them to simply omit something but it technically is to 'lie' about (changing what they report if its not a mistake)...?

Just a random thought...anyone tried asking this?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
shane82388
Established Contributor

Re: Asking to Omit vs Goodwill Adjustment?

BUMP

Message 2 of 6
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Some have had the entire TL removed which would be the same as omitting. This sometimes has a negative impact to your scores depending on how it affects your AAoA and UTIL. 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 3 of 6
shane82388
Established Contributor

Can you request this specifically in a goodwill letter or is sorta shady to do so?

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Your scoring is based on your credit file, and what is in your credit file is determined by what is reported by a creditors/debt collector.

Many items of information reported to your credit file,  from the account itself down to numerous items if individual information, are retained in yourcredit file, theoreticalyl forever, until the creditor reports a specific deletion code, or the account has exceeded 10 years from closure. 

There are no codes available to a creditor for retention of the information in your credit file, while also preventing it from being included in your CR..

To do what you suggest would, in opinion, be contrary to the integrity of the credit reporting system.  The primary purpose of credit reporting is to provide those reviewing your CR with accurate information about your credit history.  :"Hiding" information is not what the system is all about.

In fact, the CRAs, in their credit reporting manual, even consider the deletion of prior information by way of grant of a GW or PFD to be improper, and instruct creditors not to delete prior, accurately reported information based on payment of the debt,  However, there is no way for the CRA to know the reason for deletion of any item, so deletion for whatever reason is just accepted by the CRA. You can get GW or PFD deletion, but such deletions are clearly inconsistent with the procedures established by the CRAs.

I would not make such a request in a GW, or even a PFD, letter.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shane82388 wrote:

Has anyone asked a creditor to simply omit the account from reporting versus artificially changing their reporting through a good will adjustment?

From what I understand its not against the rules for them to simply omit something but it technically is to 'lie' about (changing what they report if its not a mistake)...?

Just a random thought...anyone tried asking this?

As far as I've ever seen, a goodwill request can range from requesting forgiveness for a singular event (e.g. a late), or going as far as asking for an entire tradeline to be forgiven. I think it all qualifies under "goodwill adjustment".

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.