Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aspire Late Student Loan Payment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aspire Late Student Loan Payment

Hi everyone, new here. I have a question regarding how I should approach an issue I recently had.

I have an old student loan through Aspire servicing center, and during covid I assumed that the payments automatically deferred (I was unemployed for a few months), but they didn't and wound up with a very late payment that crushed my score by almost 100 points (I had like a 750 before).

I'm all caught current right now, but I'm not sure if I can do anything to deal with the damage to my credit.
Should I write them a goodwill letter?
Should I offer to pay it off? I dont even owe that much on it anymore

If I do write a letter do I email it to them? or send it physically? 

Any advice would be great thanks.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Aspire Late Student Loan Payment

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone, new here. I have a question regarding how I should approach an issue I recently had.

I have an old student loan through Aspire servicing center, and during covid I assumed that the payments automatically deferred (I was unemployed for a few months), but they didn't and wound up with a very late payment that crushed my score by almost 100 points (I had like a 750 before).

I'm all caught current right now, but I'm not sure if I can do anything to deal with the damage to my credit.
Should I write them a goodwill letter?
Should I offer to pay it off? I dont even owe that much on it anymore

If I do write a letter do I email it to them? or send it physically? 

Any advice would be great thanks.

In the credit/creditor world never assume things are going to happen and they dont. That even goes for auto pay (which I dont trust) and the horror stories that have popped up here. Once this started on their site has many ways to aviod lates before they happen. It has info on the page who to write to and thats about all you can do now. In the future always check your accounts weekly. This way things like this wont happen. Bout all you can do for now.

https://www.aspireservicingcenter.com/delay-a-payment/delay-a-payment.aspx 

Message 2 of 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

You can pay it off in full and then try asking for a GW removal (no guarantees). But if you don't pay it off, then the lates stay on beyond the 7 year exclusion period until the loan is satisfied due to the Higher Education Act.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 4
calyx
Super Contributor

Was this a federal or private loan?

IF it's a federal loan, according to the HEA, they legally cannot goodwill that late away until the loan is paid.    So if it's not much, I would go ahead, pay it (talk to them before you do) to see if they're willing to goodwill that late away if you pay in full.
Another option (which may or may not be good depending on how well that loan is anchoring your profile in terms of age) would be to ask them to remove the tradeline altogether (if it's PIF).    That's how I got some loans removed from my profile.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.