Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asset Acceptance advice

tag
3MV
New Contributor

Asset Acceptance advice

I have one last collection on my account from Asset Acceptance (for Southwestern Bell). Balance is $249 and it is scheduled to fall off in December of this year. I am in the middle of a divorce that should be final in June. I will then be buying my first home. I have already been approved through special financing for Native Americans (Section 184). My only requirement is that I settle the collection account. What is a reasonable offer? I feel like I have some leverage since the account will soon fall off and it is past SOL, so they risk getting nothing from me. Is is possible I could offer them a settlement AND get them to delete?  I will definitely settle since I want to buy a house, just trying to get the best result possible.

Starting Score: 539 EQ 11/1/2011
Current Score: 648 EQ SW , 670 TU SW, 654 EX (MTG Pull 8/19/2013)

**It's a marathon not a sprint**
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Re: Asset Acceptance advice

i would say to offer like 50$ and see what they counter offer? lol

You will still need to settle it..... so have some fun with it... whats the worst that could happen? You have to pay the full 250$?

Just dont setup a payment arrangement because that could extend the time it is supposed to fall off. 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 2 of 5
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

Just be careful and get everything in writing first!

I called in to negotiate a PFD with them and they told me that its not a problem. We settled for like $287 on a $600 debt. Dude asked for payment over the phone to take care of this today and I told him NO. I want to wait for something via US MAIL. He told me he can fax me something and I can call him back. He faxed me something stating $287 will satisfy this account but did not mention the PFD or anything like that. Called him back and he said that is the best he can do via FAX, but he said he will mail PFD. I waited. Later that week I got a letter from them. So I'm reading this whole thing and imagine my shock where it says. "Thank you for making payment arrangements with Asset" and then it went on to say that once I pay $287 I can make a decision what to do about the rest, but their advice is to pay it ASAP because it will save me money in interest..blah blah...nothing about PFD and of course nothing about the fact that $287 was the offer not a down freaking payment.

Emailed the CEO and few exec..scanned the FAX letter into PDF then I scanned the mail I got into PDF...sent a nice letter stating that they falsely and maliciously offered one thing and then sent another thing and I will file a lawsuit. I don't think I had a huge leg to stand on..but with PDF blatantly stating 2 different things from the same guy and me playing the victim role and saying I was going to alert the media I tried to negotiate my way out of it and told them at this time I'm not paying a dime and I will file lawsuits and show this evidence of their trickery unless the close the account remove tradeline from my credit and send me a letter stating both and the fact they will never resell this debt.

I guess the bluff worked because within 48 hours I received an email that they will do all 3...got a letter home stating all of this and tradelines were deleted within like 2 weeks. It worked and in the end I'm glad they attempted to screw me...but message is "BE CAREFUL, GET THINGS IN WRITING AND READ IT CAREFULLY!"

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 3 of 5
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

Asset Acceptance is THEE worst out of all of them.... Good luck.

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
proudnavymom
Regular Contributor

They sent me a settlement offer for $99 for a $942 balance which I paid. I think they offered such a low settlement because it is due to fall off my CR in October.   I tried to get them beforehand to agree to a PFD, but they wouldn't, but they did agree to report it simply as paid, not with the special comment settled for a lesser amount, or something to that effect.  I did not have that agreement in writing, just verbal, but they did honor it.  I recently sent a GW letter asking them to delete, but haven't gotten a response yet.  I agree to offer them $50 and see what they say especially since it is about to fall off.  

Starting Scores TU 7/30/09 FICO 493 EQ 9/5/10 FICO 477 EX 11/14/2011 (lender pull) 575
Current Scores TU 10/19/2018 FICO 671 EQ 12/21/2018 FICO 614 EX 5/31/2014 FICO 658
Goal Scores 700 across the board
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.