Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attacking a charge-off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Attacking a charge-off

I have a charge off on my credit report that I would love to get removed. It is showing a balance of $365.

How should I go about attacking this?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
tubbynerd
Regular Contributor

Re: Attacking a charge-off

Can you pay the $365? If so call em up and ask if they'll delete it from your report if you pay it. That's whats called a PFD or Pay for Deletion.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. I can pay it!

You recommend I call? I have seen some people e-mail and some mail, some call. Lol.

I will give them a call in the morning. Hopefully, I can get it done. Should I also try this with the two collection accounts on my report?

@tubbynerd wrote:

Can you pay the $365? If so call em up and ask if they'll delete it from your report if you pay it. That's whats called a PFD or Pay for Deletion.

Message 3 of 6
tubbynerd
Regular Contributor

some like the paper trail and like it in writing by email or snail mail.

ive had better success with calling personally, as much as i hate calling people. ANd yes by all means call the others too especially if u can pay them off. 

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When you say "attacking," I presume you mean disputing the reporting.

If the debt was legitimately delinquent, and reached the state of delinquency at which point it qualifies for (and in most cases mandates) taking of a charge-off under federal regulations, such as being 120-late on an installment loan or 180-late on a revolving account, then attaching the legitimacy of their taking and reporting the charge-off will fail.

A CO will be excluded from your credit report under the exclusion requirment of FCRA 605(c) no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the date of first delinquency in the period of delinquency that included the CO.

You can pursue attempt to get the creditor to report deletion of the CO by way of a good-will, pay for deletion request, which will require that you offer to pay the debt.  PFD offers are the normal way to go about removal of a reported CO.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome! I'll get on this first thing in the morning.

I really appreciate it.

@tubbynerd wrote:

some like the paper trail and like it in writing by email or snail mail.

ive had better success with calling personally, as much as i hate calling people. ANd yes by all means call the others too especially if u can pay them off. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.